cam driven Distributor

DTohill

80 X1/9 Carb
I have been wanting to do the cam driven distributor conversion for a long time now. (I think it looks cool):laugh: I was looking at midwest-x1/9 and found they have one for sale.
http://i612.photobucket.com/albums/...radacammountboschdistributor.jpg?t=1243073437

1st question:
Where can I get a cap and rotor?
2nd question:
I will have to modify my camshaft to except the distributor. Anyone have a pics of the modified/original cam with the slots/splines?
3rd question:
Will this distributor work with my current bosch ignition system?

I use the Strada distributor on my Scorpion so I can use a larger airbox with dual DCNF's. I machined a new housing to fit it to a DOHC. It will bolt on to the SOHC however you will need to either get a cam with the end drive on it or do what I did and machine an adaptor that I bolted to the end of the cam. The distributor that I used had a slot drive rather than a spline, which makes it easy to adapt. If the distributor is a spline drive I don't think you could use it unless you had the correct cam. Obviously this would likely limit your choice of cams. As far as the Cap /rotor, the cap is the same but the rotor is unique and is from a Strada with AC. It can be found here. http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php It should be fine with the Bosch ignition. It really isn't to tough to do depending on the resources available to you

ATTENTION BOB BROWN!!! Don't let Danny one-up ya here...

He's overseas anyway... so you can get a headstart...

HAHAHA!

Danny... hope yur well, thinking about you and thanking you especially this weekend...

Do ask Bob to fill you in on his MSD-4-Coil Electronic Dizzy conversion... as I was TRYING to convince him to mount his trigger and dizzy on the end of the cam also.

Well, I'm not ready to post pictures YET

But when I do, everyone will want one!
Tony got a 'sneak peek' of the components on Skype.
Think of it like an "insert-able headlight mod" for your ignition. Ha!

Advantages:
No "special modifications" to your engine/cam.
No "crank trigger" needed.
No distributor cap needed. (uses a 4-coil pack)
No more "saturation limits" based on RPM. (good to over 15K RPM!)
This is literally a "drop-in" replacement to the current distributor.
Eliminates the fire hazard. (no "spark gap")
Uses MSD Digital DIS-4 ignition control and a special programmable German-made industrial encoder.
Disadvantages:
Cost. In excess of $1000 total to build one.
But I'll share info when ready.

Cam drive on the dizzy.

You should be able to use any camshaft you like with a bit of modification.

The camshaft is hollow as it has an oil way to feed the cam bearings. As for the spline if you look at a machine drive catalog you will find splines and couplings. What will be required is that you remove the oil plug from the back of the cam machine to the outside diameter of the spline coupling, insert a recessed oil plug, press in the spline coupling and TIG weld in place.

TonyK.

Grimsby Ontario Canada.

Danny, thinking about you, and your peers on this Memorial day. Stay safe. If you need anything stateside, let us know. Im sure we can make it happen.

Tony K great idea on the use of a purchased spline and coupler.
Either way can work. The actual solution will depend on what type of drive the distributor has. Mine had the slot type of drive so no option to use the spline. However if it is a slot, I can verify it can be done, no speculation - I have actually done it.

mod cam

Brad,
How hard is it to Modify the cam to except the slot style distributor.(please send pics). I already Know its a Slot style I ordered. I tried to find the rotor but can't seem to find it on the website you provided.

How much different is it to time my X with this mod and which way should the rotor be facing to get the 4th position? Please send pic if you have them.

Daniel, I will send instructions/pictures/drawings to adapt the cam drive to you. I need your email addy. Timing the engine is easier because the distributor is right in front of you so access is much better. The instructions will explain how to set it up.

Back