Cam housing not getting oil

drevildevil

Daily Driver
I have an interesting issue, my 79' X oil galleys up in the cam housing are not pumping oil out of them. I installed a head gasket recently, did I miss something? :wall:

Head gasket installed upside down.

The head will need to come off and a new head gasket installed with the words "ALTO" facing the cylinder head. Check the small copper crush washer to make sure it lines up with the block to cylinder oil feed hole. There is only one oil feed hole, it is located near the center of the block, between the drain back openings.

Check the cam housing and cam, if oil is starved for too long, the bearing surfaces will score and damaged..

Bernice

I have an interesting issue, my 79' X oil galleys up in the cam housing are not pumping oil out of them. I installed a head gasket recently, did I miss something? :wall:

ah, the head gasket had no marks on it, and it was installed with the metal rings lip facing up and the flush side on the block. So thats what was wrong! I am just learning all this fun stuff the hard way, thanks for the heads up Bernice,

A hard lesson Mike... sorry for your trouble...

I just Google-Earth Fort Jones, CA...

WOW... talk about the High Sierras... or better known as NOWHERE!

You are really OUT THERE!

Do you commute to work anywhere or do you work for the Forestry Dept?

yup were officially in the middle of nowhere. I am the IT manager for a natural resources company. If anyone happens to know someone with a cam box for sale, or maybe a complete head might not be a bad idea..

Bernice hit the nail on the head, and in just 12 minutes from enquiry to answer... gotta love the depth of experience on this forum...betcha you don't find that on too many other place on the net.

SteveC

Actually Steve... between you and Bernice...

... at approximately 12,000 miles apart... in the upper and lower hemispheres... something like 10 timezones apart and 24/7 coverage...

You two EXPERTS have got the Earth covered!

HA!

12 MINUTES!!!

I'll be expecting a much faster RESPONSE TIME from now on!

HAHAHAHA!

HAHAHA... I.T. and the term...

... "Natural Resources" kinda sounds like an oxy-moron...

High-tech meets Nature... I guess having a laptop with satellite capabilities in the middle of the Sierra's qualifies you for this job... as long as you NEVER haveta attend a meeting face-to-face!

Best of both worlds...

I'd throw a few more hats in the ring than just Bernice and myself Tony... but thanks for the kudos

There are several very experienced racers that frequent the forum who could probably do a few of these jobs blindfolded. They've all been playing with X19's for more years than they probably care to remember ... and we have all made mistakes and learned from the experience.

Steve Hoelscher, Matt Brannon, Steve Shonk, Steve(?) Soar are a few that come to mind instantly (there's a few Steves here isn't there) and there's many more guys like yourself who may not be so technically minded but are car guys (and some girls too) at heart and don't mind pitching in (when they have personal experience) to help someone out... sadly it's something you don't see as much these days, except for on little islands like Xweb.

SteveC

it is nice, no road rage, traffic, smog and some of the best roads with a view to drive (when the fun cars are willing) and civilization little more than a 30 minute drive away, much less than most have to commute one way.. :grin:
what a cool community of friendly knowledgeable Fiat owners, thanks for making me feel welcome!

Oil to cam

Before you take the head off!! There is one other possibility I came across once...The cam tower gasket from a different year does not have the hole punched into it for the oil to go through. Take the cam tower off and look at the gasket carefully and see if the oil hole is covered, I used a paper hole punch...problem solved.

I did not take the cam box off, but I will and check that too.
replacing the head gasket wasn't too bad. But it would have been better if I had asked someone before jumping in..
Ill have an update later tonight

thanks!

I have an extra cam box and a cam in it. The cam is from a 85 X.

I'd sell both for $50. Then whatever it costs to ship to you.

Ed

thanks Ed, I just found a head and cam here locally like 5 minutes ago!
I pulled the head today and tomorrow were going to pick up the parts. This time around I will ask, does anyone has any advice for take 2? :innocent:

Whats the hell does "locally" mean, Mike?

There ain't nuttin' but TREES for 30 miles around ya! You found a head and cam cover under a tree?

HA!

Sorry... I don't have anything else to offer but do check to see if the gasket was indeed the cause of the problem before ya proceed further.

Advice for take 2

Just make sure you check that the oil hole from the block lines up with the oil hole in the gasket.

Sorry to hear of your trouble, did this myself a couple of weeks back. Tried to reuse a gasket and that didn't go well at all. On the plus side it only takes me about 4 hours to change a head gasket now

I agree it has become fairly easy to swap the head gasket, just wished I would have taken it a bit slower the 1st time, ;) Thanks for the welcome Greg!! Here are some pics of my mess

fried cam box
IMG_20101023_175455.jpg

IMG_20101023_175449.jpg

IMG_20101023_175412.jpg

IMG_20101023_175350.jpg

IMG_20101023_175332.jpg

Back