Can anybody tell me what's required...

X1/9Cruiser

True Classic
to switch from manual to power windows? Is this a difficult operation? I'm thinking that I swap out the existing regulators with electric ones, get the proper window switches and hook everything up. Is it as easy as this or am I missing something? I have an '81 X.

I think I read once that the tracks are different, that the power window tracks are geared. I could very well be wrong though.

Thanks both...

I'm pretty sure the car is wired for power windows...I just need to find the actual wires. Yeah finding doors for the X isn't as easy as it was a few years ago. Trying to find a nice driver's side door is next to impossible...passenger side a bit easier.

Electric windows

I've a 1987 x1/9 with the later type motors and mehanism - it does not use a wire (I don't think). The whole mechanism and motor lift out as one unit. The window slides up and down a bar and there is a rubber stop to prevent the windows going up to far (not sure if manual window has this).

Anyway the problem with electric windows is mine work really slowly - and sometimes they need a helping hand to get them to go up. I've cleaned the runners and realigned the runners and this helps

The problem I think is that the side window and it's wndow runner moves over time and the motors are 20 years old and don't have the power to push the windows up really quickly.

If I were you I would buy an after market kit or failing that go to a scrap yard and get electric window motors and mech from a modern car. I think you will be disappointed if you get a used mechanism from a later x1/9.

Another thing to consider is where to put the switches - becuase if your car has manual windows it won't have the same center console as mine or the wiring in place

Good luck

Where are you located?

I have the doors from my 86 with all the guts including the motors, which are still working fine. The outer door handle and triangle windows are missing, you would have to swap those out if you were to re-use the doors. Or you could just transplant the guts.

I'm in McKinney (near Dallas) TX, if interested. Probably prohibitively expensive to ship. Let me know if interested, email me at pete dot whitstone at att dot net.

Pete

Thanks all...

According to Mad Matt, later model window units would be very difficult to retrofit into my 81 due to bolt holes, etc not lining up. I have sourced two motors from Matt and I'm on the lookout for a pair of p/w switches. My car does seem to be prewired for the power windows and i have cutouts in my lower console so I think thats all I need.

Back