Can the plexi be changed on a 76X gauge cluster?

karhawk

True Classic
Ours is fogged up, or does the whole gauge cluster have to be changed?

thanks
Chris
Oakland, Ca.

Yup, the whole assembly can be taken apart. But....

Before you toss the old one, try to polish it with plastic wax/cleaner. Clear ones are getting harder to find, plus I "think" theirs minor differences across the years.

Bob Brown knows more than I do.

4 screws removes the faceplate

from the cluster assembly.
The clear plastic is riveted to the black bezel that covers your gauge faceplates.
This can be a P.I.T.A. to remove, but it can be done. I use a dremel to grind off the 5 rear metal rivets holding from the rear. (not the front!)
Then I push them forward, out the front 'clear' faceplate. From there, you'll see what you need to work with. (or reproduce)
If you're handy with clear lexan, you can make one to fit pretty nicely.
I expect you'll need a heat gun and a wooden framework to put a bend in the plastic. Good luck!

if you can get the plastic out without damaging beyond repair, then use autosol metal polish (or mothers aluminum polish or meguiars swirl free polish ) on it....

This Ford mustang headlight has been treated with autosol on the outer 1/3 of the lense

EditedDSC_0179.jpg

Video of how to...
http://www.5min.com/Video/Cleaning-a-headlight-using-Autosol-polish-30112578

Well I got it out it's about an eighth of an inch thick, I basically ripped it out and left the little metal eyelet in place, I'll go to tap plastic and have them cut me a piece.

Chris
Oakland, Ca.

Back