Car 6 - Some Surprises

Steve Thomas

True Classic
Aquired car 6 last week and picked up most mech parts yesterday. The car is a 3/80 Australian series 1.5 [a series 2 but 1300/4 speed]. All in bits as a stalled restoration.

Nice surprises:
1. pair of 40 DCNFs on a Sprint Filter manifold.
20230930_102358.jpg
2. Engine is a 1500 and has a very nice looking 5 speed
3. Head has been ported - have not had a chance to see if this is good or bad news :) Its probably functional as all the indications are that somebody loved this car in the past and spent money.
4. All struts are Koni bodies but sadly, have inserts now
5. A colour mystery. The car was built and is plated 589 [sickly gold], was repainted a red by a PO and was in the process of being painted a magenta by most recent PO. But - under the 589 deep in the centre structure of the car are areas of 390 green. I am very interested in this and may revert the car to that green rather than 589.
20230924_153745.jpg

Remaining mech parts and interior are being delivered in about 2 weeks time.

Here is a not nice surprise... This is the wiring harness as recieved.
20230930_190140.jpg
and spread out to see what is what.
20230930_193210.jpg
..well. So, somebody started doing it properly - connectors are labeled but labels faded to blank and then somebody decided to expidite the process using shears.

OK then. I was already facing a version of this hell as 3 of my cars are without their wiring and I was planning to build new using a good one [I have 2 unmolested cars] as a template come design guide.

Reactions: 86X
Good opportunity to redesign, add relays as you design and improve reliability,

Not done this process myself but understand you can save significant weight by simplifying.

significant weight
Yep - one or other of the cars will have a modernish, simplified, lightweigh harness. I will weigh and post the weight of the "standard" item. This particular harness will be repaired and yes, will incorporate some of the recognised mods - and some of my own I expect!

Another nice surprise - the camshaft is a FAZA 35/75
I hope it is better than the one Al sold me. Apparently he had multiple suppliers for his cams. He sold me a FAZA 35/75/75/35 that was supposed to be a new steel cam. When it arrived, it was clearly a regrind with a tiny base circle. It worked for a while until the hardening failed and the lobes and shims ate each other. We had a pretty good material science lab where I worked and one of the guys checked out the cam. He said it looked like the nitriding process was totally out of control with the thin areas coming off and leaving small islands of thick nitride under the full pressure of the valve springs to carve up the shims.

Here is a photo of the end of mine. I hope yours looks different.

FAZA 35-75-75-35 Camshaft.jpg

I've heard that the ones he got from Breda were supposed to be good.

Back