car cover

x192023

Dallas
Looking for a good car cover after looking at several covers not getting
very good reviews. What are most of you using ?

Thanks

Looking for a good car cover after looking at several covers not getting
very good reviews. What are most of you using ?

Thanks

It really depends on where the car is being stored as covers I use inside are not the same as the one I would use outside!
Chris Obert

Car cover...

I went right to Wal-mart and got a small car cover and it works fine. The X is stored inside....

I've used the Covercraft Evolution cover for years on all our cars that live outside and it provides excellent protection. Because the cover takes all the UV and weather damage, they need to be replaced every 3-4 years, no matter what the mfg says. Not perfect protection, but still, it's cheaper than a garage if you can't afford one.

Here's IAP's listing:
http://www.international-auto.com/evolution-4-car-cover/evolution-4-custom-car-cover.cfm

Note that it says "no mirror pockets", but if you call IAP they can special order one for you with mirror pockets for 79 and up.

John O.

Superweave from Calif car cover

The superweave material is the best. All car cover companies have something similar maybe same name. It is lightweight and holds up to sun and weather. Mine is a cab-only cover, so it is fast to install and packs smaller.
IMG_4357_zps2fee0414.jpg

I just went through this myself..

After some research, both here in the archives, and online/phone calls, I figured out that Covercraft is the main supplier, and perhaps the only one in the U.S., for a custom cover for the X. They supply the covers to California Car cover, and most of the other sellers.

Here are the different series of covers:

http://www.covercraft.com/carcovers/custom_car_covers.html

The Evolution and the WeatherShield HP seem to be the most appropriate covers for an outdoor parked X in most climates, the WeatherShield HP being heavier duty and more expensive.

I spoke to Covercraft directly and the cut code for the X cover WITH mirror pockets is C10056PG, as you will find verified here in the archives.

But one might infer from the archive posts that C10056PG is the model of a specific cover. It is not. It is the CUT CODE. That cut code can be used for any series of cover, for a cut that will fit the X precisely. They are built to order by Covercraft when the order is placed by the vendor.

You can get other covers built by Covercraft with their materials as well that will fit the X, but not as precisely and without the mirror pockets, for less money. I believe one of them is cut code CA24TK.

Once you know which series you want, I would shop around a bit if money is a concern.

Here's a list of seller's from Covercraft's website:

http://www.covercraft.com/app/buy_online.php?cat=10

Keep in mind there are other Covercraft sellers that are not listed on the Covercraft page. It is not a comprehensive list. Google is your friend.

I just bought the custom (C10056PG cut) WeatherShield HP for a little over $200 with a little tenacious searching; most places have it for $300+. Will report back on it once I get it. I wouldn't spend more than $150 for the Evolution version (usually $200+).

Covercraft also has a closeout sale on their older (less advanced) version of the WeatherShield material custom covers ordered and shipped directly from them for $170+. If that interests you, call them and see if they're still doing it and can cut one for the X. Here's the info:

http://www.covercraft.com/cover_sale.html

Lastly, If it doesn't matter that much to you, you can certainly find an "okay" cover on Amazon or Ebay or at an auto store that will generically fit a small car for $50-$100. A few of those have been mentioned here in the archives. But I don't know that I'd feel comfortable trusting one of those to protect the X through extended periods of harsh rain, sun, or snow. For short periods of weather, or light weather milder climates, perhaps it would be fine.

Happy hunting.

Bob - How does that attach?

I like this cab-only idea for temporary cover but doesn't look to be fastened down tightly. Here in TX we get some pretty windy days. Also, did they have a specific one that you ordered to fit the X? Thanks!

Cab cover

The cover goes under the wiper blades and has velcro straps that wrap on each blade spindle plus a velcro strap to each door handle and two bungee cords to the rear of the engine lid. I often will omit the door handle straps and the wiper straps. The cover is about the size of a folded xtra large tee shirt when removed. Pretty compact.
Bob

Thanks Anthony

Good write up! I did not see the superweave fabric though. I wonder which of their fabrics is most similar. I think it is the weathershield HD.
Bob

Another option

I've also found that a car cover for a Honda S2000 works pretty well.

The cover is just a tad bit big but the mirror pocket locations are a near perfect match.

One thing to be aware of is the location of the antenna on your X. The Honda S2000 has an antenna pocket on the right side.

When I've got my car parked with the top on, the car cover tends to hang down to the ground but if the top is off, I can usually push the excess material into the cabin and that seems to work okay.

Larry
'79 X1/9

Cover video

Here is a vid on the cover......
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMkRQkvigvw&sns=em"]MVI_2471.MOV - YouTube[/ame]

Bob.

Back