Car show in AK

Carl_Auer

Groovy
What a crazy day. Spent all week getting the X ready for its first show, washing, waxing, speaker shelf, carpet, detailing, etc, etc. Was doing some final stuff at the office the day of the show (Friday), and when I was ready to head down to the show I loaded my camera bag, and at show detailing stuff into the car and then I could not find my keys. I searched everywhere. It was 5pm, the show started at 6, and I was 45 minutes walk from home. I tore the place apart looking for them. The day care next to my office has some kids of a friend in it, and I ran over. He just picked his kids up. Ran outside and he was just pulling away. Got his attention and he drove me home and I grabbed my second set, and got back to the car. Started it up and started to drive away, 45 minutes later than I wanted to, 15 minutes before the show. Then I had a brainstorm. Stopped my car, ran over to the dumpster, looked in, and there were my keys. After detailing the car, I through some garbage away, and my keys. Jumped in, and grabbed them then headed to the show. Over 140 cars showed up and the first three were two 308's and a Mondial. They wanted me to park with them, I wanted to park with them, but since the guy at the gate was dead set on my car being a Fiero, I was not allowed by the Italians. I was about 100 cars from the Ferraris. I was invited to join their Italian Car club, and also invited to join the Midnight Sun car club and the local SCCA chapter. I was so busy answering questions, I did not take as many photos as I would have liked. A lot of, Hey, this is a copy of the TR7, or I hate the old MR2's. I could not believe so many people had no clue what a Fiat was, especially with them owning one of the big 3. Sigh. One of the Ferrari guys came down and said to someone, "Yeah, Fiat owns Ferrari. Actually, the Ferrari guys were getting a lot of people down looking at the X. And the somewhat cool part, and the crappy part was I came in 2nd in the import class. Out of 5 cars (me 3 prancing horses, and I thought a Austin, but it was in the kit car class for being a pinto based kit car) since I was new, and the only Fiat (sponsor was a Chrysler dealer and most of the judges came from their showroom), and the Ferrari's take the import class every year. But the drawback was, I lost to a classic Porsche Speedster. Thing was, it was in the wrong category, because it was a kit car. I know because I know the owner and I photographed it two years ago for a kit car magazine publication. So I should have taken an award. Anyway, here are a few pics from the show.

First photo shows my X hiding between 2 large nice American cars
_T9S8874.jpg

Ford GT
_T9S8881.jpg

Side of black 308
_T9S8884.jpg

interior of the Black 308
_T9S8886.jpg

View of the tail of the red 308 and the Mondial
_T9S8891.jpg

sweet roadster
_T9S8936.jpg

Reminded me of the Mustang from the remake of the Thomas Crown Affair. Only in Alaska will you see a 4x4 muscle car in show shape...
_T9S8922.jpg

I wish I head noticed this sooner. The Black 308 had prancing moose wheel centers.
_T9S8938.jpg

Wow Carl...

Some great HIDDEN cars up their... loved the Prancing Moose.

Perhaps if ya showed the gate guard next time the VIN tag inside the front trunk, I believe they all say Made in Italy.

Thanks for sharing...

Thanks for the pics Carl

Looks like it was a beautiful evening too.

Back