Carb Spacer Heat Shield

drevildevil

Daily Driver
Almost ready to drive again but I made a mistake.. :mallet: I broke the carb spacer plate when I removed it from the manifold, is it ok if I cut out just the spacer or should I mend it temporaily until I find another or make one? was its original function as a heat shield or is there something more to it?
Thanks!

download.jpg

Last edited:
Easiest

Almost ready to drive again but I made a mistake.. :mallet: I broke the carb spacer plate when I removed it from the manifold, is it ok if I cut out just the spacer or should I mend it temporaily until I find another or make one? was its original function as a heat shield or is there something more to it?

Easiest... just use the larger piece as is, until you can score a new spacer/heat shield. It's both a spacer and a heat shield, so you won't want to run without it, but this time of year you'll probably be OK without one side, and the worst that can happen is vapor lock and difficult hot starting.

thanks Eric, I will do that for now.
might just fab one later. Wonder what people do with DCOE's and other side drafts as the they sit very low..

Keep in mind that heat shield is made of phenolic and it does not last forever in service.. Heat will make it brittle and crack eventually. Better to replace it than to try salvaging it.

On DCOE's, they typically use a O ring isolator between the base of the carb and intake manifold. These also get brittle and knackered with use and age and require replacement.

Bernice

thanks Eric, I will do that for now.
might just fab one later. Wonder what people do with DCOE's and other side drafts as the they sit very low..

I see, the o-rings insulate the carbs from the heat of the head, but what about from the exhaust manifold, is there a shield of some type between the carb and exhaust manifold? Sorry to be full of lame questions. I have been reading alot of great info here about EVERYTHING and as a new X owner I want to soak it all in ;)

Yes, there should be a heat shield between the carb and exhaust header. Most folks who install DCOE's make a heat shield as required.

Do ask and post questions, there are no "lame questions". Problems are usually what happens when questions do not get asked..

Bernice

I see, the o-rings insulate the carbs from the heat of the head, but what about from the exhaust manifold, is there a shield of some type between the carb and exhaust manifold? Sorry to be full of lame questions. I have been reading alot of great info here about EVERYTHING and as a new X owner I want to soak it all in ;)

Hey Mike...

I broke mine YEARS ago... and then went and trimmed it all so that all I have is an insulating block UNDER the carb.

BTW... I run NO shields whatsoever anymore... Both side vents have their grids removed for about 25% more air... the left one is ducted directly to the the aircleaner, the carb fan and all its ducting was tossed, the rain tray copletely removed, and I run cool with no vapor lock problems than ever before.

Remember though, I live a charmed life...

BUT... if you really want one and feel you need it... I have one. Drop me a PM with what its worth to ya and I'll mail it off.

I'm with you Tony, I have my rain tray removed as well, should be ok. I was given a nice low pro universal Summit fan, I was thinking of mounting it under the engine cover to either push or pull more air through the engine bay. Anyone seen that done before with any level of success?

Yeah... once... to some extent...

... but if you are moving, its not really needed... and if the airflow is unobstructed when stopped... its not really needed either... it just flows up and out!

Back