Catalytic Convertor Sale and Test Pipe fabrication...

Status
Not open for further replies.

User1

RETIRED Admin, pm OFF
<TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD colSpan=2><TABLE width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-TOP: 4px" vAlign=top colSpan=2>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]Catalytic Convertor Sale and Test Pipe fabrication...<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]May 29 2001 at 5:46 PM[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<SCRIPT language=Javascript> <!-- var n54_em; n54_em = ""; n54_em = n54_em + "n";n54_em = n54_em + "a";n54_em = n54_em + "t";n54_em = n54_em + "o";n54_em = n54_em + "l";n54_em = n54_em + "i";n54_em = n54_em + "a";n54_em = n54_em + "l";n54_em = n54_em + "@";n54_em = n54_em + "p";n54_em = n54_em + "a";n54_em = n54_em + "c";n54_em = n54_em + "b";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "l";n54_em = n54_em + "l";n54_em = n54_em + ".";n54_em = n54_em + "n";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "t"; document.write("Tony Natoli"); // --> </SCRIPT>Tony Natoli <NOSCRIPT> Tony Natoli </NOSCRIPT> [/FONT]</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=bottom colSpan=3><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=3>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Folks...

Just got my NEW JCW catalog no. 651J-06 and on S-7 of the sale pages is a neat little cat on sale for 51.95.

Its 14 inches long so its a bit smaller than stock and has a capped air tube so it can be installed on vehicles with or without air tubes.

Also comes in a 1 3/4 ID inlet and outlet which closely matches the metric diameter of our stock exhaust. This part no. is 81UT6155Y.

Now on to fitting it...

I just installed a Test Pipe on my '79 using a few dollars worth of parts from Pep Boys.

I removed the entire muffler, cat and head pipe out of the car and removed the cat.

Then I hacksawed (Dremel tool cut-off wheels work well also) both 3 bolt flanges leading from the head pipe to the cat, and also the flange end into the muffler. These are real tight bends and in order to have material to work with, they must be cut right at the flange.

Next I used the Dremel tool again (sanding drums this time) to grind down the outer face of the pipes for an overall diameter of 1 3/4 inches... for about 1 inch from the ends I just cut the flanges off of. This material grinds (sands down) easily and there is not much time or work to this. I also had some "creases" from the factory mandrel bends that I needed to grind flat in order to have an inch of "straight-line" material to work with.

I decided to install a Test Pipe, and in leiu of the 24" pipe, the cat could be inserted. Here's the Test Pipe fabrication first:

I purchased the following from Pep Boys:

1 - 24" long 1 3/4 OD pipe with one end "swedged" to accept 1 3/4 ID, $3.99

1 - 4" long 1 3/4 ID coupling, $1.99

3 - 1 3/4 Muffler Clamps, $2.97

1 can Hot Paint, $4.99

Totals less that $13.00

I first hammered and ground and fit the 24 inch pipe to the muffler input and then clamped.

Then I did the same with the head pipe... as both of these require some massaging as they are a metric/SAE mating.

I next test mounted and determined how much of the 24 inch pipe would need to be cut... which for me was about 2 1/2 inches, and then slid the whole thing together. The third clamp secures this easy fit section.

(My clamps did not come with washers or lock washers... I had to do this TWICE!)

Once you are aligned and THINK all is well, snug up the clamps and test fire the engine... NOTE, this stuff gets HOT quick! I found some rattles that needed a bit of tweaking... then TIGHTENED the CRAP outta it.

It has a tendency to twist... nothing will fall, but everything can vibrate loose. They must be tighted to a point that the pipe material is dented by the clamps, and with the use of lock washers, it'll then stay in place.

The cat can be installed in a similar fashion and the clamps positioned so they look "acceptable". The cat could possibly be installed with one coupler, a length of no more than 6 inches of pipe with one end swedged, and four clamps... as the cat uses a 1 3/4 ID inlet and outlet.

For those of you with torches... have at it, or you can take the whole thing down and have it welded. I thought I would share that there IS a method that can be done inexpensively... and with hand tools.

So... I'm beginning my TWO YEAR TEST and will let ya all know how it comes out in June 2002!

Best Regards,

Tony Natoli
1979 X1/9 with 148K and still steamin'
Santa Clarita, CA<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellPadding=4 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial] [/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]
closeThread.gif
[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]Author[/FONT]</TD><TD>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]Reply[/FONT]</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap width="17.9%">[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]Jeff Zucker[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 15px" vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->That's June 2003 Tony ! <nt><!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]May 29 2001, 6:58 PM [/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 15px">
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->
happy.gif
<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=4 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial] [/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top noWrap align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]
closeThread.gif
[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap width="17.9%">[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<SCRIPT language=Javascript> <!-- var n54_em; n54_em = ""; n54_em = n54_em + "n";n54_em = n54_em + "a";n54_em = n54_em + "t";n54_em = n54_em + "o";n54_em = n54_em + "l";n54_em = n54_em + "i";n54_em = n54_em + "a";n54_em = n54_em + "l";n54_em = n54_em + "@";n54_em = n54_em + "p";n54_em = n54_em + "a";n54_em = n54_em + "c";n54_em = n54_em + "b";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "l";n54_em = n54_em + "l";n54_em = n54_em + ".";n54_em = n54_em + "n";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "t"; document.write("Tony Natoli"); // --> </SCRIPT>Tony Natoli <NOSCRIPT> Tony Natoli </NOSCRIPT>[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 30px" vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Rite Agin, Jeff!... Thanks! <nt><!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]May 30 2001, 9:08 AM [/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 30px">
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->.

Best Regards,

Tony Natoli

[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=4 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial] [/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top noWrap align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]
closeThread.gif
[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap width="17.9%">[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<SCRIPT language=Javascript> <!-- var n54_em; n54_em = ""; n54_em = n54_em + "g";n54_em = n54_em + "r";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "n";n54_em = n54_em + "p";n54_em = n54_em + "o";n54_em = n54_em + "n";n54_em = n54_em + "y";n54_em = n54_em + "@";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "a";n54_em = n54_em + "r";n54_em = n54_em + "t";n54_em = n54_em + "h";n54_em = n54_em + "l";n54_em = n54_em + "i";n54_em = n54_em + "n";n54_em = n54_em + "k";n54_em = n54_em + ".";n54_em = n54_em + "n";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "t"; document.write("Greg C."); // --> </SCRIPT>Greg C. <NOSCRIPT> Greg C. </NOSCRIPT>[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 15px" vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Another idea?<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]May 31 2001, 10:29 PM [/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 15px">
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Hey Tony, what do you think about getting a cat off a junkyard X sawing it in half, knocking out the cat material and welding it back together exactly like it was and installing it on my car. This seems like a easy way to go about it. What do you think. I'm a steel fab person so the welding won't be a problem. I've been looking a my exhaust though and the nuts and bolts attaching the cat are really rusty and I know from dealing with this in the past they are going to cause problems if disturbed. Any ideas. Later Greg<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

closeThread.gif
[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap width="17.9%">[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<SCRIPT language=Javascript> <!-- var n54_em; n54_em = ""; n54_em = n54_em + "n";n54_em = n54_em + "a";n54_em = n54_em + "t";n54_em = n54_em + "o";n54_em = n54_em + "l";n54_em = n54_em + "i";n54_em = n54_em + "a";n54_em = n54_em + "l";n54_em = n54_em + "@";n54_em = n54_em + "p";n54_em = n54_em + "a";n54_em = n54_em + "c";n54_em = n54_em + "b";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "l";n54_em = n54_em + "l";n54_em = n54_em + ".";n54_em = n54_em + "n";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "t"; document.write("Tony Natoli"); // --> </SCRIPT>Tony Natoli <NOSCRIPT> Tony Natoli </NOSCRIPT>[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 30px" vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Yeah... sure... consider these things also...<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]June 1 2001, 11:59 AM [/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 30px">
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->1. Before cutting the cat in half... try breaking up and pounding the stuff outta the converter with a screwdriver first... then hose out.

2. Being a welder... get another converter... cut off the flanges and weld them to a 3.99 piece of 1 3/4 pipe... bolt it up in place of your cat.

OR... Make your own flanges from the cat's pattern...

(My experience has been that most tune up and smog pros, along with Law Enforcement officers, as well and the DMV folks... have NO IDEA where the engine is on an X much less if it has a cat or two, or where they belong!)

3. Unless you cut off the flanges while its still bolted up to the car... (which I don't recommend attempting) you STILL HAVETA contend with some bolts, BUT not as many as you may think.

The system, as designed, is really hefty and well built. Stuff that appears really rusted and would fall to pieces on an American car is but a like a "dusting" of rust on this system.

Remove the decklid, two access panels and insulation to engine bay, and soak the TWO bolt clamp that holds the 3-SPRING BOLT FLEX COUPLING to the exhaust manifold with WD40, remove rear grill, loosen the springs, and the whole thing falls in your lap.

Havew fun... let us know what ya do...

Best Regards,

Tony Natoli

closeThread.gif
[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap width="17.9%">[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]lezesig[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 45px" vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->There you go again !<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]June 4 2001, 6:33 PM [/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 45px">
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->...pointing to an easier approach ! "Remove lid, access panel, and insulation".

And I was just getting comfortable working in the extremely cramped quarters when accessing the exhaust, waterpump tube, and EGR. Dah....

You pointed to the HIDDEN access cover behind the spare tire to get to the distributer. Now are describing the easier approach to aft engine.

Tony, is there any other access covers we should know about ? : )

PS- I already found the one for the E-Brake cable join. Isn't that a fun little @##$%^. Employed the little monkey hand technique to work on the jambnut ! One more time on that one and I'm gonna open up a 5 inch oval !

out for now,
lezesig '79 X 1/9<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

closeThread.gif
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 60px" vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->You don't expect me to show all my cards, do ya?<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]June 5 2001, 7:56 AM [/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 60px">
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Truth be known... It only took me 15 years to find it!

I personally have not used the E-Brake door yet... and the only other thing I can think of at the moment is removing the headlight bulbs... for easier access to the motors, linkage and wiring below.

HA!

Oh... when removing the trans... Haynes calls for removing the entire lower left control arm.

I unbolt the strut and remove it... and simply swing the arm down and out of the way. That way yur not messing with hard to get at (large) bolts and shims.

Out for now....

ZOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!

Best Regards,

Tony Natoli

closeThread.gif
[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back