CD91 ballancing act.

AngleT

Always more tuning to do
OK, I love my CD91's,
IMG_0699-1.jpg

IMG_0751.jpg

but I've been told for years now that they are bent. The vibration was pretty bad, but I only used them when I was having issues with my Keizer 15" rims, so I didn't worry about it too much. I did buy another set off ebay, but the finish on them was pretty sad looking and I never mounted tires on them.

So, after 7+ years of tire shops telling me that they were bent, I decided to see for myself and took them to the auto skills center on the military base near my house. I took the tires off the rims and put the rims, by themselves, on the balancing machine. Yep, they were wobbling pretty bad. Then it dawned on me. I always had to add a little electrical tape to get the center caps to stay in the rim. "I bet that someone over torqued the cone into the center cap and bent the rim at that point. Not the rim was bent."

So, I remounted the rim on the machine with the cone inserted into the backside of the rim. What do you know... they didn't wobble any more!!!

I remounted my tires and and balanced them with the cone on the backside of the rim and they did need some weight, but not a lot. Not like the 20lbs of lead I had to take off from the last shop that tried to balance them.

Put the cone in on this side.
IMG_1070.jpg

Bent center cap mount will throw off the whole rim balance if the cone is inserted on this side.
IMG_1069.jpg

Just thought I would share my newly aquired knowlege. :)

So, the machine saw out of balance rim though it was just mounted poorly on the machine (due to hub hole distortion) The shops were trying balance against a poor mount, then when on car they were really FUBAR'd because now the mount was fine (via lugs). Yes? you would have been better off with no attempt at balancing at all? I like your blacked out center lug area. That looks good like that.

That's it

And to think all this time, that was the only problem. I had been to several shops over the years thinking it might have just been the tech doing the work. Now that I know what the issue is, it should be smooooth riding.

Ain't it sumthun'... we're always learnin'... or...

... we're dead!

I discovered the same problem years ago with my rims and they two were COCKED when mounted via either the center cap or mis- torque-ing them. Ever since then I LOOSELY install the rims now and then EVENLY torque them down using a TORQUE WRENCH (to 55 Chinese pounds). I have never had a problem since.

Cost me 20 bucks to learn this... as I took my car back one time years ago having sworn I lost a weight (somehow)... after I had polished the rims and remounted them at home...

I happily paid my TUITION!

Oh... and another thing...

For the street... your new belts are MORE than adequate...

I think a bit cumbersome for store to store shopping... but otherwise a nice RACE-LOOKING-FEEL to them and I'm sure MORE THAN safe for street use.

For the track... nothing beats a 5 - point harness... take a look at them at SummitRacing.com! But talk about cumbersome! HA!

Legal for street?

The place where I get the car inspected every year tells me that the race harness is not a "legal" seatbelt, but passes my car anyway stating "If it's good enough for racing, it surely is good enough for the street". I'm haven't researched his statement of "legal", but I guess I'll find out as I'm getting my ticket.

Hmmm... your VA Inspector must go to the same school

... our CA Inspectors go to... Mine couldn't find my engine bay!

Back