Center console e-brake bezel refurb...

budgetzagato

Administrator
When I got my car, the center console bezel around the e-brake handle was loose, had no rubber in the e-brake handle slot, and was pretty cruddy looking. I decided to remedy that this past weekend.

First I removed the vinyl "boot" someone had made and installed on the bezel. It was constantly getting caught on the switch, and was in poor shape. Then I devised a set of replacement rubber flaps for the handle slot using garage door gasket that I had left over from another project. I cut the gasket to create small strips that fit the slot, and adhered it with black RTV silicone.

IMG_1844_zps4063f05a.jpg

Then I masked off the new rubber, and painted it with a charcoal metallic paint close enough to the original color for my taste.

IMG_1847_zpsa007e545.jpg

I also sanded off the rust and painted the e-brake handle itself. Reinstalled the trim looks much better than before.

IMG_1852_zps030483e5.jpg

Very nice job

Mine is pretty much warped beyond saving. Fortunately Scott Haye was experimenting with building these and he gave me some of his prototypes. I just need to get around to painting and installing one.

I was thinking about brush bristles for the e-brake to pass through, but I like your idea better. I'll have to look around Home Depot/Lowes for some of that stuff.

Pete

More...

I also made a battery compartment lid. I've seen them on other Scorpions and Montecarlos, but mine is either missing or didn't have one. I use corrugated plastic sign material and some front trunk felt from an X. Cut to fit, glued the carpet with 3M trim adhesive, and found a rubber grommet for the finger pull. The "hinge" is just the felt tucked under the bulb gasket. We'll see how long it lasts.

Obviously I need to paint the underside!
IMG_1856_zps0423ddca.jpg

Top looks pretty good. Both this lid and the bulb gasket on the compartment wall between the battery and trunk are my approximations of what should be there.
IMG_1857_zps171b89d8.jpg

NIce work and craftsmanship on both accounts.

Let me know when the for sale sign is for real :grin:

Back