Certificate of authenticity from Fiat

Ron Avery

True Classic
So I’ve been communicating back-and-forth with Lancia / Fiat since September to attempt to get a certificate of authenticity for my scorpion/Monte Carlo I purchased last August. I am finally at the pit point where I am initiating payment on there web site. However there is one window on the screen. it’s asking for a tax code that nobody can seem to tell me what to put in this required field. I’ve of course sent a query back to them with no reply. Anybody have any idea what I should fill into this required field in red?
Attached is a screen shot of there web page.
065E690C-6D46-4AFA-A734-FDD64F16401B.jpeg

Hi Ron- I'm not able to help you with the form- sorry, but would be very interested in your experience with this process. What was involved? time, cost etc. Does a third party verifier need to be involved? I worked through this process for another car, but that work was all done at the dealership and it took time. It took about a year and the only thing I needed to replace on the car was its silencer. This is the first I have heard of this for a Fiat. Thanks for any thoughts and good luck with your Lancia. I'm sure it is a wonderful car.
-Gerry

Have you tried asking this question on one of the other Italian car forums? Maybe a Ferrari site might have an answer. No offense intended but they, Ferrari owners, may have more experience with getting a certification of authenticity.

I'd be curious to see what sort of actual records they even kept. But maybe there was better documentation for Lancias than for Fiat's? @DaveR suggestion is good; Ferrari guys should know.

In general I've seen the term "tax code" used to describe a category of product, such as a type of part. It seems to be a European thing that we don't use. For example I buy most of my parts from a European wholesaler and each part listing on their website has a "tax code". But it doesn't have anything to do with my purchases so I've never investigated it. However I assume there is some universal code for a category of "cars". I've also seen the term used on customs paperwork. But again, it was supplied by the European shipper, not from me. Does Google have any info on this?

Looks like EU countries have a 2 digit code which correlates to the amount of VAT that should be collected. Don't know the answer, but if you type in "00" or "exempt" will the site let you continue?

I attempted to do this with my 1988 Milano Verde (that is now for sale). However I was told by Fiat / Alfa group,
That I needed and ITALIAN vin#, my car has a USA vin#. So that was a no go. This process with Fiat/ Lancia started last September. I provided my Vin# for my Scorpion / Montecarlo. And waited a few months. With no reply.
I logged a complaint with customer service in Italy this month. And got the ball rolling again, they say that the info on my car. Is for build info, import date, first sale info. The price is €100. I will receive an e-mailed certificate, and then the actual certificate mailed to me from Europe. Part of the time lag, seems to be, there claim that they e-mailed me in February of this year . I did not receive that particular e-mail.

Last edited:
I figured it out,” none” is what worked.
That comment just jogged my memory for a package I once shipped to someone in Europe. For the shipping paperwork they instructed me to put "exempt" in the tax code box in order to avoid them paying a import fee.

No offense to anyone but I don’t understand the whole “Certificate of authenticity” thing. Was there another manufacturer of Scorpions? You know what would be special from the factory? Remake hard to find parts. With laser guided cad how hard could it be?

Last edited:
No offense to anyone but I don’t understand the whole “Certificate of authenticity” thing. Was there another manufacturer of Scorpions? You know what would be special from the factory? Remake hard to find parts. With laser guided cad how hard could it be?
Personally I've never quite understood the need for any vehicle documentation other than the title of ownership. But I don't buy them with the intent of flipping, investing, or other "value" reasons where more documentation may be helpful. This seems to be popular with the muscle car crowd. However I realize my views on such things may not be everyone's.

Aside from all that, I've seen situations where similar documentation was generated by a manufacturer based solely on the payment of outrageous fees, despite the fact such documents never actually existed before. In other words you can buy anything for the right price, even if it doesn't exist. :rolleyes:

Aside from all that, I've seen situations where similar documentation was generated by a manufacturer based solely on the payment of outrageous fees, despite the fact such documents never actually existed before. In other words you can buy anything for the right price, even if it doesn't exist. :rolleyes:
I think Ferrari has bi-annual certifications

I am blaming spell check, and my lack of careful prof reading. As to the need for the paperwork.
I am not flipping The Lancia, I just like to have the history of my vehicles if possible.

I am blaming spell check, and my lack of careful prof reading. As to the need for the paperwork.
I am not flipping The Lancia, I just like to have the history of my vehicles if possible.
Ron, I did not mean to imply that your motivation to get the certification was for flipping or such. Hopefully my comments did not come off offensive in any way, it wasn't intended to. As I said I know that others appreciate such documentation for various reasons, I was merely saying I've never found a need for it personally. But then again my cars are not nearly as nice as all of yours are. ;)

Last edited:
COAs may be useful if the car in question is available in several levels of performance or trim to see that the car is really as built; for example, a Dodge that had a slant-six/automatic and has been bestowed with a hemi/four speed isn't really a hemi car from the factory, and should not be valued the same.

I don't think the certificates give you much information other than, "Yup, we're Fiat and we built your car". I think some people on the Fiat Dino side have tried this and the results are less than spectacular. Not that a certificate isn't a good thing....... I just think that expectations of of multiple build details and original sale/delivery information is optimistic.

Ron, I did not mean to imply that your motivation to get the certification was for flipping or such. Hopefully my comments did not come off offensive in any way, it wasn't intended to. As I said I know that others appreciate such documentation for various reasons, I was merely saying I've never found a need for it personally. But then again my cars are not nearly as nice as all of yours are. ;)
Jeff,
No problem, no harm done. I get it, and I know the info and color of my Scorpion / Montecarlo is completely different than when it left the factory. Just a neat item for the binder.

Back