Certificate of authenticity from Fiat

Jeff,
No problem, no harm done. I get it, and I know the info and color of my Scorpion / Montecarlo is completely different than when it left the factory. Just a neat item for the binder.
Maybe one day I'll have a car nice enough to warrant a binder of documentation. :(

Actually I used to keep all documentation and records for my cars. But over the years I realized I never referred to it or needed any of it for anything. So I no longer bother. Perhaps that's just an excuse for being too lazy to do it. :oops:

Likewise for my workshop. I've always wanted to make it a nice place to hang out ("mancave"), with displays of my collectables and other decorations, nice flooring, etc.....like yours. But again, I'm too lazy I guess. :rolleyes:

I figured it out,” none” is what worked.
Timely post this one. I am trying to buy some used Fiat parts from Italy, they keep asking me for a tax code. After lots of googling, it seems it's only required if within Italy for general purchases, I have told them this and to just put NONE or EE (foreign excursionist) on the invoice and they seem ok with that.

Last edited:
I don't think the certificates give you much information other than, "Yup, we're Fiat and we built your car". I think some people on the Fiat Dino side have tried this and the results are less than spectacular. Not that a certificate isn't a good thing....... I just think that expectations of of multiple build details and original sale/delivery information is optimistic.
1648515835529.jpeg

When I first saw this thread "We're Fiat and we built your car." came to mind as said by this guy.

Last edited:
Have you tried asking this question on one of the other Italian car forums? Maybe a Ferrari site might have an answer. No offense intended but they, Ferrari owners, may have more experience with getting a certification of authenticity.
Hi Dave- No offense taken. I've worked through the process with a Ferrari and am familiar with their process. The level of detail involved with Ferrari is significant. The dealership verifies virtually all original equipment parts for the car and documents with photographs that are signed off by Ferrari in Italy. You end up with a nice book documenting your car. But my understanding is that Ferrari kept records of interior color, seat cover type etc., so that virtually all originality can be verified if carpet or seat covers have been replaced.. My understanding is that Fiat did not keep that level of detail because of the number of cars it produced. I did ping the guys on the Fiat certification web site and received an email back over the weekend asking if I wanted to send my car to Italy for review or if I wanted them to come to the states to look at it. From that response I have gotten a feel that the process will not be inexpensive, so more thought is required. As to questions as to why one would want the certification- for me its certainly not to flip the car. Mine has too much sentimental value to want to sell. For me its more that I restored it how Fiat had intended it (for better or worse). That's just a thing for me. To my knowledge, I think the only thing non-stock on my car are the wheels and I changed those because that is what I had on my first x1/9 in the 1980s. But again, that's just my thing and to each what ever makes them happy.
All for now and thanks.

Up date to today.. I was able to finally make payment, last Friday. I had a confirmation of that payment yesterday. With a promise of an E-mail of the unsigned certificate E-mailed to me today. And then The signed certificate mailed to me there after. As you can imagine, Fiat /Lancia is many hours ahead of Pacific standard time ( where I live ). So by the time I get up in the morning, they are closed. And you guessed it, no E-mail this morning. They usually E-mail me around 2:00 am my time. So another day, and nothing to show for it.

Up date to today.. I was able to finally make payment, last Friday. I had a confirmation of that payment yesterday. With a promise of an E-mail of the unsigned certificate E-mailed to me today. And then The signed certificate mailed to me there after. As you can imagine, Fiat /Lancia is many hours ahead of Pacific standard time ( where I live ). So by the time I get up in the morning, they are closed. And you guessed it, no E-mail this morning. They usually E-mail me around 2:00 am my time. So another day, and nothing to show for it.
Unfortunately that sort of thing tends to be rather typical of how things work in Italy. :D

I know they have a different work ethic than most of the world. I guess I have been waiting since last September what’s another couple weeks !

I know they have a different work ethic than most of the world. I guess I have been waiting since last September what’s another couple weeks !
I definitely hear you. I've had similar experiences in the past trying to purchase merchandise from there. But it's not just Italy that tends to be that way, other places are as bad....including the USA at times. :rolleyes:

I attempted to do this with my 1988 Milano Verde (that is now for sale). However I was told by Fiat / Alfa group,
That I needed and ITALIAN vin#, my car has a USA vin#. So that was a no go. This process with Fiat/ Lancia started last September. I provided my Vin# for my Scorpion / Montecarlo. And waited a few months. With no reply.
I logged a complaint with customer service in Italy this month. And got the ball rolling again, they say that the info on my car. Is for build info, import date, first sale info. The price is €100. I will receive an e-mailed certificate, and then the actual certificate mailed to me from Europe. Part of the time lag, seems to be, there claim that they e-mailed me in February of this year . I did not receive that particular e-mail.
Post details of your Verde in NFC? I'd like to check it out.

Speaking of things from Italy, I counted myself super-lucky to receive a letter from Ferrari in Maranello confirming the production date for my 92 Ferrari 348ts as May 1992. On letterhead and everything. It was handy because its first registration was June 1992 and the shipper didn't want to ship it until it was 25 years old in June when my point was that it had to be produced earlier than June.

Ferrari is notoriously hard to get information out of.....unless you're buying Classiche. I counted myself lucky.

Yep, inflation I guess everything is gone up. I remember when I had my Montreal in the 90s all you had to do was call somebody at Alfa Romeo and they would simply send it to you free of charge . Same with the letter I got from Ferrari on my Euro 1984 308 GTS they sent it to me on letterhead no charge.

IIRCC it's ever 3-5 years (depending on your source) when the engine is out for timing belt replacement. 🤣

Unless you have a Colombo V12 with chains. :) Not counting the Boxer or TR of course.

Most people go 5-7 years on the belt cars. Some go 10. Belt technology has come a long way, but usually failures are tensioners and other items.

My experience with Fiat Centro Storico was uneventful. I first tried four years ago to get some response on my 83 Pininfarina spidereuropa but sadly was told I should approach Pininfarina directly because that model is not consider a fiat product. Makes sense. With there help I was given a email to Pininfarina archive rep but no response to my email. Along comes the X1/9 and again wanting a certificate from Fiat for my 1976 Fiat X1/9 sent off the info to FCS and again no luck. I was told that they can only verify X1/9 from 1980-88. Fiat did not transfer any records for models earlier that 1980. Go figure.

Fiats record keeping on build info is basic at best, for some cars all records are basically gone where they can only tell u a build date

Others a bit more info like colours, options, date sold

In terms of your scorpion u may actually have better luck contacting pinnifarina as they actually manufactured the car, i know some people in other forums have got some great info from the post 1982 produced Spiders

X19 records from Fiat pre 1982 are basic also and sadly for any Betone produced X19 all build records are gone since the bankruptcy such a shame

Back