Chassis set up.

Rupunzell

Bernice Loui
Over the years of tinkering and struggling with setting up chassis, a few months ago the choice was made to design and build a proper set of hub stands or set up wheels, chassis string rig and related. Part of the motivation happened when I ended up with a set of corner weight scales over a year ago.

In it's current state, the LeMons exxe chassis has coil overs, adjustable camber and adjustable toe front and rear. What is not often appreciated is how modern and adjustable this chassis can be with some modifications. There are few chassis designed in the 1960's that offer this degree of capability even when compared to chassis built in today's sports cars.

Here is what the rig looks like:
IMG_0897.JPG

That is me tinkering with the set up on the other side of the LeMons exxe:
IMG_0899.JPG

Close up of the hub stand, corner weight scale pad with leveler and string rig and indicator toe plate:
IMG_0898.JPG

Strings for chassis set up is used by most every race team to this day including;

Ferrari F1
Ferrari_String%2520Aling.jpg

Red Bull F1:
Red%2520Bull_String%2520aling.jpg

This was the first time we had the LeMons exxe out for a track test day at Thunder Hill which just opened a new 2_ish mile of added track. This makes TH the longest road course in America.

We futzed with spring rates, toe/camber/corner weights and .... got good results.

The real treat was this:
IMG_0909.JPG

Bernice

Great set up. You didn't spare the aluminum on there.

Excellent added bonus at the end. You were in that picture right? :) I have never ceased to be amazed at the size of those old racers and images of the drivers looking out along the sides of the car as they carved the turns.

WOW on all counts!

You folks never cease to amaze me!

My only question is this...

IMG_0897.JPG

Just who's oven is missing one of its baking racks? Are they all SCCA approved from the factory?

Close up of the hub stand, corner weight scale pad with leveler and string rig and indicator toe plate:
IMG_0898.JPG
interesting tie rod ends , brake rotors and calipers. I would like to get a better view of them or some written details.

The rod ends are teflon liner/ industrial grade 1/2" rod ends made by Aurora. Don't remember the specific series at this moment. The bolt is a MS21250-8 with a un-threaded area to allow proper surface contact in a drilled/reamed hole and matching lock nut. The fit must be not more than 0.002" over sized or there will be too much slop. To make this modification, a set of stock steering ball joint arms get's their ball joints cut off at the required length. the threaded rods are now put on a lathe, end faced off, drilled and threaded internally to accept the 1/2" rod end. Do use a left handed rod end to allow easier toe adjustment.

The steering arm on the front upright get's the tapered ball joint hole drilled out slightly under size for a 0.501" reamer. Once the hole is drilled, the hole is reamed to 0.501" to allow a close fit with the bolt, cone spacers, toe adjust spacers and look nut.

This is done to allow adjusting bump steer by raising or lowering the steering ball joint relative to the steering upright steering arm. Adjustment of bump steer is done by spacers as required.

The brake calipers are four pot Willwood on shop made brackets with Miata vented front rotors with their holes altered slightly to allow fitment to the 98mm wheel bolt circle.

Next time, I'll get some better images of this set-up.

Bernice

interesting tie rod ends , brake rotors and calipers. I would like to get a better view of them or some written details.

The LeMons tech folks ordered the rack or no racing...

BTW, that Alfa Romeo with me in it is a very interesting and historically significant pre-war Grand Prix car. It was once driven to victory by the Legendary Nuvolari, Scuderia Ferrari. The car is an Alfa Romeo 8C-35, Tipo-C.. it is worth several million dollars. Pete G the owner was generous enough to allow me to spend time in the driver's seat and we talked about this car a lot. He has it out at TH for this track day to do some sorting and testing for the race at Laguna Seca's Historic races in mid- August.

This was one of the most memorable events in my involvement with motor sports.

Bernice

You folks never cease to amaze me!

My only question is this...

Just who's oven is missing one of its baking racks? Are they all SCCA approved from the factory?

I "get it", Bernice... and am envious! I haveta...

live vicariously through my kids and G-kids... not that I'm loosing my figure.

I just love taking my granddaughter to shows since she was about 6 and soooooo damn cute... Now at 18 in this shot here... She is INVITED to sit in any car she has an interest it.

Soap Box Derby at around 7...

... and a year ago!

Back