Check pinion depth, without "Fixture A. 95690"

Matt Zerega

Passion, not Practicality.
Hello again, rear engine Fiat fans. Back in May, within a different post, JohnT was kind enough to show how one can check pinion depth with a standard depth mic. I have a depth mic with several extensions, however...the factory manual (pg. 116) describes a depth measurement method that relies on a factory tool (a special "Fixture", Fiat part A. 95690) that has some unspecified length. In other words, the manual doesn't specify the depth in terms of the distance between the face of the pinion and the differential cage cap surface...making it impossible to determine the proper pinion thrust shim/washer thickness.

Like many things on this cool old Fiat, as compared to every other vehicle I've rebuilt over the years, I can't find any reference to a DIY process that doesn't rely on factory 'special tools.' (I'm more and more amazed every day how tiny this passionate old-Fiat community really is, here in the U.S.)

Anybody have a tried an true DIY process for accurately setting 850 gearbox pinion depth at home, using a standard depth mic? Note that a new ring and pinion will be installed in an old case.
1640111615797.png

Pardon me for not thinking this through previously. As I disassemble the existing, working box... I'll measure pinion height of the existing pinion using a de-facto standard depth micrometer as per JohnT, and I'll record that measurement for later reference...when I install the new pinion. I'll simply choose a thrust washer that duplicates the height of the old pinion, with the new pinion installed.

If anyone has other gearbox build pointers... please do share.

Back