Checking Interest for aluminum X radiators.

bg82x

Bob Grasch
I have been kicking around the idea for this project for a long time. I know the X radiator has been discussed in great lenghth in other threads over the years. I figured there has got to be a better alternative than adapting a VW radiator at a reasonable cost. So I have made contact with a manufacturer who has produced a radiator prototype for me to actually test. Everything is there as on the original radiator design. No cutting or changing anything on the car. Will just bolt right in. The radiator weighs 9.8 lbs. The initial product seems to be exactly what I was looking to accomplish. The only change I see from this first prototype is to make the bleed valve location use the actual size of the original valve versus a generic valve. A minor change. I will be installing this in one of my X1/9's this week for testing and as long as there are no issues I will be offereing them for sale here. It looks like the initial cost will be around $250 plus shipping. The end cost will depend on total quantities ordered, but shoudn't very alot from this original estimate. I'm posting a few pictures of the finished product. If you have any suggestions to improve the design please let me know. If you are interested in purchasing one please let me know. I would like to gauge the initial interest to see if this is worth doing outside of what I will use myself. Thanks for looking! here is a link to additional pictures as well. https://plus.google.com/photos/1066...s/5905976789273457937?authkey=CIya-Oj7_tLRhwE

Sample2_zpseef6b030.jpg

DSCN3381_zps84fe82af.jpg

Kudos for coming up with a potential source for a needed item at such a reasonable price!:dance:

Couple of points for consideration:

1. Does your prototype support A/C cars as well as non-A/C cars? IOW, however the factory condenser fits up to the stock rad (of which I have no knowledge), does the prototype also accept the condenser in the same fashion without mods?

1a. I seem to remember that in their posts, some of our air conditioner "gurus" (TonyK, Larrry, et al) have mentioned that the X1/9 A/C condenser is just adequate for the cooling load of the car. Maybe it would be beneficial to inquire of your fabricator if they could design a complementary condenser that would improve upon the OEM capacity while still fitting in the allocated space.

2. If it can be scientifically established that "modern" aftermarket fans can move the same amount or more air more efficiently as compared to the stock fan(s), have you considered modifying the prototype to accept a generally available aftermarket fan or fans from a popular manufacturer, either as a no-mod option (say, as additional mounting points provided as a matter of course) or as an option to be executed at the time of ordering/manufacturing?

looks nice !

If you ask me, anyone should replace the 30 yo radiator with no reason, just to be new :)
I am sure it would be nice to be able to fit some generic / universal 7" or 9" radiator fan ..... I've seen cheap stuff from china now ..... drain less power and have more power :)

I love it

Count me in Bob

Even if I just put it on the shelf for future use, I am interested in supporting the project.

Thanks for doing this Bob!:woot:

Kudos for coming up with a potential source for a needed item at such a reasonable price!:dance:

2. If it can be scientifically established that "modern" aftermarket fans can move the same amount or more air more efficiently as compared to the stock fan(s), have you considered modifying the prototype to accept a generally available aftermarket fan or fans from a popular manufacturer, either as a no-mod option (say, as additional mounting points provided as a matter of course) or as an option to be executed at the time of ordering/manufacturing?

Great idea! Either having 'standard' mounting locations for aftermarket fans or an optional 'add on' brackets for same. I also like the comment about inquiring about overflow tanks. Well done..

John

I'd get one.

I have a good stock one in my Scorpion (uses the same radiator, etc.) but would be happy to have a lighter, better performing one. How much does the stock radiator weigh? Now I'll have to weigh my spare to compare.:hmm:

If this has all the stock mounting tabs, studs etc. and the inlet and outlets are the same as the stock one I don't see how you could go wrong. I would like to know a bit about the sizing, as is it one row, two row etc.

But, this is nit-picking, and only because you asked. I would buy one. Also, I would check with our vendors to see if any of them would want to offer it. That could be tricky.

I'm Interested

Maybe in a couple.

+1 on Dan's ideas regarding AC and aftermarket fan bracketing.

Looks interesting.

If the design includes the same tabs for bolts in the front as is shown on the back (minus the bolts), then it should accept any condenser mounting arrangement, including the stock condenser. The main design requirement, and one that would increase the sales immensely, would be to make it exactly like the stock radiator. That means (1) provision for a bleeder screw that is located exactly like the stock radiator (The bleeder screw problem with the Vick's radiator killed that one for my purposes!), (2) the same mounting locations, (3) the same thermoswitch location, and (4) the same hose attachment sizes and points. It should fit like the original. Otherwise only people with the time and patience to mod this and that will want it. Otherwise, a decade down the road it will be just another mod that is not documented in any factory manual and will make life difficult for the next poor soul. Finally, it sure would be nice to see some sort of test that showed that it was indeed more efficient than the stock radiator.

I am interested in buying one too!

Hi Bob,

This radiator looks very nice and I would seriously like to buy one too. How much do you think shipping would be to 98058? The comments regarding A/C cars and allowing for aftermarket fan support seem like good ideas to consider for the final design.

I also like the idea of an aftermarket overflow tank fabricated out of aluminum to go along with this nice radiator, possibly as a total package that can be offered to those who would like to buy both together at the same time.

Any chance of making a radiator like this for the Fiat Spider as well?

Keep us posted with your progress.

Thanks,

George

I would be interested in one

Looks like a nice fab job. Post how it innstalled and the performance.

JimV

count me in

If it performs the same or better than the original then I would definitely be interested. I have an 83 with AC.

Back