Cigar lighter removal

Mike Richmond

True Classic
Bertone X1/9... cigar lighter got disconnected and I can't reach behind it to reinstall the connector.

If I could get it to pop through the dash, I could reattach the connector and then pop it back.

I need it as a power point, so no jokes re: smoking.

Thanks!

Mike Richmond ('86 X)

Unplug the plugs in the back

Then TWIST the inside metal sleeve about 20 degrees.
Can't tell you clockwise or counter, but the metal 'sleeve' will slide forward from the (fragile!) plastic surround. The plastic surround has tabs in the rear that break fairly easily , so be careful. The metal sleeve actually prevents the tabs on the plastic green surround from releasing.
(the tabs have nowhere to go while it's in there)

Hope you can make sense of this. Good luck!

Fixed!

So... xweb was down for several hours, so I didn't read this until I was done. I wouldn't have guessed the twist technique in a million years.

I went after the root cause of not being able to get the connector on, the Car Toys wiring job. I got rid of the wire nuts, and added about 6" of slack to the wires (using crimed butt connectors w/o insulation, solder and shrink wrap) so that all we had was the connector with it's wires and all the junctions for the extra crap safely out of the way.

With the connector at a 90 degree angle to the wires, my skinny-fingered son was able to get it started on the back of the lighter and I was able to press it home.

Thanks, all! The X is headed from Beaverton to Santa Barbara starting tomorrow. Wish the kid luck!

Mike Richmond ('86 X)

Good job. You of course know that the center is (+) and the surround is (-), important for plug-in devices.

Strong bassoon playing fingers?.....

I would suspect David's fingers to be quite strong and well coordinated.

Glad you got it fixed. Tell him to wave when he drives by.

Ciao,

Back