Clarification on Front Speakers

Carl W

Daily Driver
I've read on the old forum different opinions as to where, in the front doors is access for speakers. Are there pre-cut openings in the doors for speakers? If so, where and what size? As always,thanks in advance.

my current x's do not have speakers in the doors, but the one I drove in college (85 model in 88-92) did have speakers in the doors. It was an 85 with power windows. The speakers were in the upper front of the door and were 6.5".....

There was no factory opening, and the metal had to be cut and bent back to work...

Another location: under dash...

Where I tucked mine:
IMG_0978.jpg

View from below:
IMG_0975.jpg

Yes there was some cutting involved, mostly of vinyl and foam, but some metal too.

Where is Rick Shaw?? We need a pic!!

Hi Carl,

Rick Shaw had some cool little Infinity tweeters mounted in the location Gregory shows. They were only about 2" in size and somewhat aim-able IIRC. Here is Rick's post form N54, but ImageShack seems to have lost track of the pic.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/12159/message/1184682138/tweeters

I couldn't remember what year your X is. If it is an early model you can "massage" the foot well a bit and put in some speakers. This is the approach taken by the original owner of my 78. It leaves your door panels intact. They are a little low, but work well enough for me.

im001792gr2.jpg

im001790om7.jpg

In the late model (1979+) the frunk release handle would probably interfere.

Tr

One of these days we will work out a "Meeting in the Middle" for the St. Louis and Kansas City owners.

Ya know Brett... Leno and I were...

... both saying that neither of us wanna see any more fotos of the P.O.S. ya drive until you have that Steering Wheel covered in matching LEATHER.

Geez!

OK... on second thought... either that or a WOOD wheel that matches the shift knob... otherwise the knob's gotta be covered in leather also.

(HA! Hey... how are things back home... any follow up on the Multipla and whats going on with it?)

Wooden shift knob

Brett:
Is that an Alfa Spider shift knob? If so, does it fit right on to the shifter or was there much modification required? I have several wooden Alfa shift knobs, but never thought of using one on my X.

Allen

well fine then...

I happen to like my black wheel and wooden shift knob. ;-)
I had actually considered covering the wheel but was afraid that it would have been too much of the tan. Needed some contrast. The wood knob is from a local speed shop and is nothing unusual, I don't have any special affection for it, just liked it better than the beer tap.
Brett

Ya know... I think yur right...

... about the contrast part.

In these shots ablaze with the wonderful tan, the BLACK contrasts quite a bit.

Go with the wood tone wheel to match the shifter then!

(Do I know how to spend YOUR money or what?)

Back