Clarkson at Large - Motormouth's ten best/worst observations

Pottsy
This list doesn't include the latest faux pas involving India ....

Here we look back over some of the the Top Gear presenter's previous gaffes:
1. February 2011 – Mexicans
The BBC was forced to apologise to the Mexican ambassador over comments Clarkson and fellow Top Gear presenters Richard Hammond and James May made about his fellow countrymen. Hammond joked that Mexican cars reflected national characteristics, saying they were “a lazy, feckless, flatulent oaf with a moustache, leaning against a fence asleep”. Clarkson waded in suggesting they would not receive any comeback over the remarks because “at the Mexican embassy, the ambassador is going to be sitting there with a remote control like this [snores]. They won’t complain, it’s fine.” The Mexican government promptly complained and demanded an apology. Ofcom received 157 complaints about the comments on the BBC2 show, which viewers complained were derogatory, cruel, xenophobic, discriminatory and racist.

2. August 2010 - Special needs
Just a week after the BBC had extinguished the flames from another Clarkson gaffe, the presenter provoked the ire of disability charities with a remark about people with “special needs”. Comparing two Ferraris, the 51-year-old described the older one as a “simpleton” that should be called the “430 Speciale needs” instead of the 430 Speciale. The remark prompted a backlash from the National Autistic Society.

3. July 2010 – Burkas and lingerie
Clarkson came under fire following a discussion on Top Gear about dangerous driving conditions. He and fellow presenters agreed that scantilly-clad women were the biggest distractions on the roads, before Clarkson chipped in: “Honestly, the burka doesn’t work. I was in a cab in Piccadilly the other day when a woman in a full burka crossing the road in front of me tripped over the pavement, went head over heels and up it came, red g-string and stockings.”

4. November 2008 - Lorry drivers
Clarkson found himself in hot water again when he made a joke about lorry drivers being murderers. Referring to Yorkshire Ripper Peter Sutcliffe during a segment on driving lorries, Clarkson described the experience as: “Change gear, change gear, change gear, check mirror, murder a prostitute, change gear, change gear, murder. That’s a lot of effort in a day.” Despite numerous complaints to the BBC and Ofcom, and a call from an MP for him to lose his job, Clarkson gave only a mock apology on the following week’s show.

5. April 2007 - The Perodua Kelisa
Clarkson began a war of words with Malaysia when he described a car made in the country as the worst in the world. After attacking the Perodua Kelisa with a sledgehammer and blowing it up, Clarkson likened its name to that of a disease and implied that it was built by “jungle people who wear leaves as shoes”.

6. December 2005 - Germans
The journalist courted controversy after he gave a Nazi salute during a segment about German company BMW during an episode of Top Gear and suggested that one of its cars would have a sat-nav that “only goes to Poland”.

7. February 2009 - Gordon Brown
Clarkson hit headlines again when he dismissed then Prime Minister Gordon Brown as a “one-eyed Scottish idiot” during a press conference in Australia. Though the majority of complaints seemed to be levelled at the “Scottish idiot” part of the insult, Clarkson’s subsequent apology only referred to his comments on Mr Brown’s appearance.

8. October 2009 - Black Muslim lesbians
Clarkson infuriated readers of Top Gear magazine when he accusing television producers of being fixated with having “black Muslim lesbians” on programmes to balance out the number of white heterosexual males. His comments followed on from the Strictly Come Dancing row over Anton Du Beke branding his partner Laila Rouass a “Paki”.

9. July 2008 – Drink driving
The presenter was censured by the BBC’s governing body for glamorising drink-driving after he was filmed sipping on a gin and tonic behind the wheel of a pickup truck during a special episode of Top Gear in which he and May tried to drive to the Magnetic North Pole.

10. October 2007 - Smoking
Clarkson was criticised by anti-smoking campaigners after he lit up a Porsche-branded pipe during an episode of Top Gear. Clarkson, himself a smoker, was accused of breaking the law by puffing on the pipe, filled with herbal tobacco, in the studio.

Love him or hate him: you can't ignore him! :sigh:

Making fun of people who are different then you is part of the essence of comedy. This is similar to the old saying "comedy is tragedy plus time". It is intent that differentiates comedy from hate. Sometimes intent isn't obvious enough to the viewer and the worst is often assumed. Since people have vastly different ideas about what is funny comedy can be pretty dangerous.

Some of it probably would have been funny. Reading a transcript of it doesn't usually do humor any justice.

I must say...

I did like the one about a BMW with sat-nav that only goes to Poland!:laugh:

And isn't Gordon Brown a "one eyed Scottish idiot. " Although I thought that quote came from Tony Blair.

I do in fact take offence at the Mexican one-it is not only nasty but is not even creative;hard to which of those is worse.

I would agree with that. I doubt there was any malicious intent with the Mexican joke so it doesn't offend me but it wasn't funny.

If there's one redeeming characteristic of TopGear humor, it's the fact that they make jokes about anyone and everyone, including themselves. I just finished watching the "Top40 Challenges" series, including quite a few that I had not seen before. Nothing has made me laugh that hard in years. :laugh:

I understand all your points ...

The Irish invented the barbed insult. Usually thrown in the general direction of a known member of the pub's drinking regulars. They term it the "craich". This has morphed into "the crack" in other parts of our islands. Largely banter with a sharp edge.
You only receive the crack if you are known and liked.
Clarkson has it off pat but directs it at "soft" targets but, and this is my main point, he has weathered a fair bit of banter himself.

Way back in the day he wrote for Performance Car on the last page. He's never changed one iota from his avowed intention to lampoon everyone, including two-dimensional stereotypes like the Hollywood version of the Mexican, usually found in Spaghetti Westerns and early cowboy films made with the Duke. Certainly Eli Wallach wasn't much of a mexican role model, unless you believe that all male mexicans wear gold teeth, oversized sombreros, lank hair, five days beard growth, bandoliers of six-gun cartridges, a propensity for sneaky tricks regarding gringos and a lifetime's abstention from personal hygiene.

Predictably, the team have just brought the Indian sub-continent into their sights with, again, predictable results. The Foreign Office must dread the start of the Top Gear season.

There might be a considerable body of water separating the Americas from Europe, but the gap in tasteful/objectional humour continues to be much wider.

Clarkson offends and entertains in, mostly, equal measure.

George Brown suffered a Rugby accident when at school, losing his left(?) eye as a result. Brown is New Labour, Clarkson true blue.

Blair would never countenance such a direct observation. But then he was never willingly brought to a response for any and all of his beliefs and subsequent actions!

p.s - I detest Ricky Gervais.

there use to be a time when we could joke about almost anything,i dont agree with everything he says and a lot of it is a bit 'close to the bone' but he's harmless enough and top gear i am sure love the publicity he creates for them,after all instead of sacking him they have just given him a pay rise,so he has had the last laugh ;)

Is it actually accurate to call...

anything that happens in Rugby an 'accident'?

Of all the implausible things about Eli Wallach's Mexican portrayal , the most implausible is that he is a Jew from Hoboken (or somewhere).

You're right about the gulf separating our humor/ offense ratio. Partly, I think, it stems from the fact that the British are far more finely grained in the texture of their verbal abilities-Americans have a fine sense of irony but somehow it lacks the ability to get away with precisely the stuff Clarkson gets away with (mostly). I don't know why this is true, perhaps it is the adherence to our myth of 'all created equal' and we become sanctimonious about that when insults based on apparent prejudice are carried just a fraction of an inch too far. It's an interesting subject to ponder on.:hmm:

Rugby

As described by one observer (George Bernard Shaw, perhaps) Soccer is a gentleman's game played by ruffians, whereas Rugby is a ruffians game played by gentlemen.

We also have the rare effrontery to compare our, relatively, unprotected game with your weaker, insipid variety. As a result, most of the youngsters playing have the following combinations:
No front teeth/cauliflower ears/flat noses/limps/detached retinae/broken patellae/ribs/shoulders/severe psychiatric disorders etc.
Similar derision is reserved for Hockey players as our antipodean cousins in Oz know well enough that Aussie Rules football is one of the top two hardest games on earth. Imagine a game where, apparently, there is absolutely no rule against sticking one's elbow in the face of an opponent (sometimes a mate) whilst running at 15 mph into him. With no protection. At all.

The hardest? Well imagine all restrictions like rules and protection abandoned. Then give each team member a five foot hardwood stick.
It had to have been invented by the Irish. If a Rugby player is at 10 on the evolutionary scale of the Ascent of Man, then these guys are at 2.
The name of this bloodletting? Hurling. Say no more .....

Pete - I can't recall, in recent years, some bozo NOT objecting to ANY comment, no matter how innocuous!

My cousin is married to a guy from Veracruz... and I'm pretty sure Julio would have laughed at the Mexican stuff and probably corrected him with a "You don't lean against a fence, you lean against a wall! Fences can leave splinters if you slide down them!" or something like that.

It's just a job, or a hobby, sometimes.

Look, unbeknownst to many on these boards, I tried my hand at on stage comedy in the early 90's. Strictly small time, open mic events. I saw a change not too many months after I started. Changing attitudes towards drinking and the PC issue hit at the same time. People just couldn't take a joke anymore, they lost the ability to laugh at themselves, let alone the jokes. I was done by mid 1993.

'Ang on 'ere, mate.............!!

..... If a Rugby player is at 10 on the evolutionary scale of the Ascent of Man, then these guys are at 2.......

..........if your poofy Pommy rugby players only weigh in at 10 stone on your high-falutin'-type 'scented' scales, no wonder they got murdered by our big strappin' Kiwi All Black lads in the World Cup, mate - ya gotta be 15 stone or more to even get past 1st post on our Kiwi scales (yep, we use horse scales to weigh our rugby boys down 'ere, Pottsy mate!).
Pshawww, those 2 stone guys wouldn't even make it as the boys takin' the oranges out on the field to the lads at half-time!!

And talkin' about those poofy Ozzie Rules players, we reckon most of them are ex-ballet dancers - leaping up in the air in their tight shorts and lying on the ground cryin' when someone has given them a swift Garry Owen in the kn**kers!! Pansies, mate!! :pimp:

cheers buddy, Ian - NZ

Not to stir up trouble...

in the Commonwealth, but isn't your description of the average rugby players physical state approximately the same as the one you used here months ago to describe Lawson's girlie? I could be wrong:hmm:

It's true my politico mate Pat ....

The Commonwealth doesn't need help finding reasons to have a 'bull & cow' with other members mate. The map didn't turn pink overnight y'know. We sent some of our hardy stock to Canada to see if we could get in by the back door. Others to Oz to pacify the natives ready for conversion from Vegemite to Marmite and lots of Welsh hill farmers to NZ to keep the ewes happy.

Girly? She would pass muster as a running half back with most full-on pros! (I've clocked her box mate)
Trouble is that, after the ft whistle you'd be lucky indeed to escape with a flick from a wet towel in the showers!:laugh:
Word is that she 'convinced' Jonah Lomu to step aside so she could claim a chance in the forward line.
He's been a pale version of his Kiwi best ever since, needing councelling and lots of hugs since she arranged to meet him in a dark alley two years back.
At least the beggar has stopped wetting the bed and crying 24/7. Even his Mum said she was tired of him being 'clingy'.

Last edited:
Yep, she's speedy, mate............!!

....Girly? She would pass muster as a running half back with most full-on pros! (I've clocked her box mate)......

........when those beefy thighs catch up with her legs, Girlie is just about unstoppable! If ya remember when Jonah Lomu bulldozed that wimpy Pommy fullback in the '97 World Cup, Pottsy, well when Girlie's up to full pelt down the touchline, and her thighs and boobs are in "full swing" (as they say), there ain't no livin' rugby defender that would dare try to tackle them legs, mate!! :shock2:
One poor fool tried to tackle her a coupla years ago, and he's still in a padded cell in our local 'nutcase institution'.
He keeps mumblin' to himself " help, help, give me more air, and someone please turn the lights back on". He evidently thinks he's trapped down a burning coal mine - must come from his Welsh ancestry!
Anyway, mate, there's no way Girlie would make it among those poofy Ozzie Rules guys. There ain't no way she could fit into those tight ballet shorts they wear!

cheers, Ian - NZ

Some very funny stuff on this thread

but none as funny as usta in Portland's claim that "Americans have a fine sense of irony".

Priceless!

Back