Classic 500 featured on a TV automotive show

Dr.Jeff

True Classic
One of the current TV programs that showcases custom car builds from a specialty shop did a feature involving a classic 500. The show is from England (Goblin Works Garage) and their builds tend to be tasteful (in my opinion) customization/restoration of classic cars - mostly European ones naturally.

The recent episode was the conversion of a clean looking 500 to electric power. They replaced the gasoline engine with a electric unit from a specialty electric car conversion company. But they retained the original transmission, suspension, brakes, steering, etc. My first thought was that is crazy, until they noted the electric motor chosen is only rated at 40'ish HP (the torque value wasn't given). I suppose the standard drivetrain can handle that level of power fine.

They also gave it a bit of a Abarth look with flares, spoilers, etc. Not an authentic recreation, but that wasn't their goal. I did not care for the paint scheme they gave it but for the most part is was decals, so it could be changed if desired.

Overall it was fun to see a classic Fiat on one of these shows. And the electric conversion interesting. But one thing I really liked in the episode was when they went to the specialty electric conversion shop for the motor. The shop has a Ferrari 308 that had been converted to a high performance electric drive. It did a nice smokey burnout. :)

I saw that show in the listings but was not around when it aired. Based on your post, I'll go watch it using the "on demand" feature.

I'll go watch it
It was a recent episode so it will likely reair again, check the listings. It wasn't one of their best builds, but certainly not bad. They have done a couple that I really liked, and a couple I did not care for. The girl on the show has done fabrication work on some builds (she wasn't too fond of this car). She seems to really know what she is doing and very capable. She also does decent freehand artwork of the cars. Why weren't cute girls like that into cars when I was young? o_O Of the three crew members the guy from Canada that builds the bikes seems the least capable. However the thing I like most about the show is they are civil; no drama, no fights, and not a lot of over boosted ego. Plus they tend to build very uncommon classic European vehicles - a major plus in my book. :cool:

Back