Cleaning exterior of fuel tank

Robert Mose

True Classic
I have my POR 15 kit ready to go. I want to clean all the old tar and rustproofing Cr*#$ off. Is there a chemical of choice to get this job done?

Paint stripper

The "aircraft stripper" variety of paint stripper will most likely do the job but it'll be a messy, time consuming task. If you go that route make certain you have lots of chemical resistant gloves-- that stuff leaches through most gloves so I wear a couple of pairs of thin gloves inside of a pair of really thick ones.

You might be able to shorten the chemical stripping process by using a heat gun to strip the tar first. It goes without saying that you should neutralize the gas fumes inside the tank before attempting either method.

BTW, if your willing to spend a few bucks you could probably have the profesionally tank cleaned inside and out through either dipping or blasting. That'd be my choice because the DIY methods are so time consuming and nasty.

HTH,

///Mike

I patched my 79 tank close to 20 years ago.

When I checked inside with a flashlight for a peek the only rust I could see was on the bottom. I later mentioned it to my brother in law and he said it was there due to condensation and the water combining with sulfer in the gas to produce sulfuric acid. He is quite the jokester but I think he may have a theory there?? Regardeless, mine was all on the bottom. I patched the outside area around the holes ,and holes with plastic steel, and pored a fiberglass resin mix in the tank and swished it all over the bottom ((( Not recomended ))) but it hasn't leaked since. I haven't heard of anyone else doin this. Did you buy your Por 15 in Canada ?? I'll be going to Bangor (Maine)in late June and may get some there.

Por 15 Canada

There is a POR 15 Canada web site. They are actually located just outside Montreal. They are very nice to deal with. I ordered over the phone and had it in two days.
You only need to order the kit for motorcycles and utility vehicles plus one 16 oz can of sealer for our small 10 gallon tank.
My tank just has some "freckles" in the bottom. I am doing this so I don't have to worry about it in the future.

http://www.por15canada.com/can/index.htm

Back