Clicky-Buzzy-Warm FI Double Relay

Dan Sarandrea (Phila)

Waitin' On Parts...
While parking the car on Sunday night, I noticed a fairly rapid clicky-buzzy noise coming from the spare tire compartment. After a bit of looking I narrowed it down to the FI double relay. It felt warm, too.

Could this be anything other than a courtesy notice from my FI relay that it's about to take a permanent vacation?

I don't recall off hand - however I think there is continuous power to one leg of the relay, in which case if you have a flaky ground that could be causing the relay to cycle with the key off. Probably worth checking your wiring connections for the ground circuit. And of course get a spare relay.

EDIT - I think I have a couple - definitely have the one from my 87 when I ditched the L-Jetronic. Let me know.

Last edited:
I don't recall off hand - however I think there is continuous power to one leg of the relay, in which case if you have a flaky ground that could be causing the relay to cycle with the key off. Probably worth checking your wiring connections for the ground circuit. And of course get a spare relay.

EDIT - I think I have a couple - definitely have the one from my 87 when I ditched the L-Jetronic. Let me know.
Clarification---engine was running. With key off, no noise no heat.

Back