Clutch advise/help

Finally got some time to work on this again today. (and Rod, thanks for the offer, I have another running X to compare to, so fine there).
Much more bleeding, still not working. I have increased my confidence in our bleeding though (the old fashioned way) because we accidentally let the reservoir get low and introduced air into the system and then bled more and pushed *that* air out which was quite evident in the bubbles in the line to get back to the *exact* same point we were, which is that when we've done bleeding to where we consistently get no bubbles in the line attached to the bleed screw, we always end up with the clutch arm about 1/2 way between the back of the metal tab thing on the trans and the end of the bell housing. Which isn't quite far enough to engage the clutch fully (quick test is rocking the car with it in gear and clutch depressed).
If I pull the floor stop, clutch works fine. Comparing to the other car, we think there is a /slight/ bit more movement of the cylinder in the master before the slave starts moving compared to the car with working clutch. Hard to say for 100% certain as I can effect that by adjusting where the clutch pedal starts. We even did several bleed cycles with the clutch configured with floor stop removed (thinking maybe the longer throw with floor stop removed might push more air, or exercise a different part of the system that might have trapped air - but no additional air came out). Also, there does NOT seem to be any leakage from an "overextended" slave cylinder.
With floor stop removed, clutch arm stops with the forward edges of the curve even with the back of the bell housing, I would say just a tiny bit farther that Hussein's "fully depressed" pic above.
Current thoughts, replace floor stop with a small stack of washers and a shorter bolt so that the clutch pedal goes closer to floor and the clutch arm stops right where Hussein's pic shows. Else, I give up and take this to a trans shop. Which I am loathe to do because I don't trust that anyone local shop would understand the nuances of our cars. But I am at wits end. We bleed about 20 clutch depresses *past* any air bubbles coming out at all. Or there is something wrong with the new master cylinder (I get that the fact that we can seem to get some compression in the master before the slave starts moving could be air in the lines that is compressing, but if we bleed as much as we have, and get no air bubbles for ~20 cycles, I don't think how there can be air in there. Especially where if we do something where air *is* introduced, we know it and can chase it out).
(I just replaced the front brake cylinders on our other X, used the same bleeding procedure and the brakes are great).
Any reason to NOT replace the floor stop as described above? I worry about overextending the slave cylinder and/or even the clutch arm if it all of sudden decides to work like it's designed...

I believe this is normal behavior. The rest position of the clutch arm would be constant (at least in the short term, not counting clutch wear). The travel of the piston in the slave cylinder would also be constant, as long as the travel of the piston in the master cylinder stays the constant. Adjusting the slave cylinder push rod only serves to change the resting position of the piston within the slave cylinder.
What would be the point of changing the resting position and not being able to actually effect the clutch adjustment? Just trying to understand this...

ditch the floor stop, no big deal, I've run mine with and without, quite common for it to go AWOL for many with no ill effects I've heard of

Update:
So, we did ditch the floor stop even though I felt unsure of that as a "fix."
But the car is back in the garage and will have the tranny pulled next unless you guys have more advice.
What made us think that removal of the floor stop would work was based on:
a) movement of the clutch arm seeming sufficient with the floor stop removed (pushes past even with the bell housing) and
b) putting the car in gear and pushing it with the clutch depressed with floor stop removed does not disturb the motor (with floor stop in place and car in gear with clutch depressed rocks engine when you push car).
So I went for a couple of drives and it worked but didn't feel "right" in felt like the clutch engaged really high, which is also weird in that if you have to push the clutch all the way to the floor, past the floor stop, to get it to disengage it seems weird that the engagement part would be at the top of the clutch movement. Also, I didn't think about it, but my two test drives I never put the car in reverse with the engine running. And that's the really strange part that has it back in the garage with a planned tranny pull...
With the floor stop removed and the car in reverse and the clutch depressed, we can push the car around without disturbing the engine as mentioned. Clearly the engine and transmission are disconnected as they should be. BUT if we put the car in neutral, start it, then try and put the car in reverse it only results in grinding gears. Despite the clutch slave arm moving to the same exact point. So, the only thing I can think is that there is a difference in the clutch operation when the engine is rotating vs when it is not. And since the clutch arm on the outside of the trans is stopping at the same point in both instances it *HAS* to be internal to the bell housing. Clutch itself, pressure plate, pivot bushing, throw out bearing... Yes? Am I crazy?

Thanks,
-Brett

Did you follow my clutch thread? I had similar symptoms. Highly doubt you have the some problem but maybe. I'm almost done putting mine back together so I don't even know yet if that was my issue. Here's the thread, go to the last few posts, spoiler alert; broken bits on the clutch disc.

Yes, Jeff, I've been kinda following your thread though I hadn't checked it to see that you found broken clutch disc bits. I know we've had pretty similar symptoms and followed pretty similar repair attempts. I've never had a clutch disk or pressure plate fail without there being some noise though... so this is weird. But I think you and I likely have the same or very similar issues. I'll likely be pulling trans this weekend and then we will see...

Hmm If you start it in gear (keep the clutch pressed) I am assuming the car is not trying to move.

then if you pull it out of gear and right back in again do you get a grind..??

Kinda sounds to Me like something is dragging between the disk and pressure plate (don't think our car's have a pilot bearing) but if we did I would be suspecting that.

We found the problem! Broken pressure plate was the source of this mess. Thanks for everyone's help!

Attachments

• IMG_0766.JPG
    IMG_0766.JPG
    237 KB · Views: 70
glad you found the problem.

I had a Pressure plate sperate from the outer housing and just float around (drove the car from phx, az to eugene, OR that way (start in gear and float the gears) was a fun trip.

Back