Clutch bleeding problem solved forever! The X/19 ENEMA !

A

andrew

Hi, Everybody.

Although I am newly registered, I have been following the x-web forum for about 4 years now.
I have always remained silent because I had nothing of true value to add to this forum......however.....I had to share this with everybody out there, as I can see that bleeding the clutch is quite an emotionally charged topic.

I used a window-washer resevoir bottle with pump attached still, A length of silicon tube(not plastic), and a power supply to drive the pump.

Step 1. Fill the window washer bottle with brake fluid.
Step 2. Run the pump for a few seconds to fill the silicon pipe with fluid.
Step 3. Attach the pipe to the Beed nipple if the slave cylinder.
Step 4. Using a syringe, empty the clutch fluid bottle at the front of the car.
Step 5. turn on the pump, and slacken off the bleed nipple.

The fluid will start to pump through the clutch system, and bubbles will ....bubble out of the clutch resevoir bottle.

When you are satisfied that all the air is out, tighten the bleed nipple, and turn the pump off.

Job Done.....No pumping of the clutch.....nothing. The clutch will be perfectly bled in 5 minutes, without needing and assistant, or touching the pedal....

I hope that this method will be useful for somebody.

If anybody would like to see a picture of the X/19 ENEMA, you are welcome to mail me at anvil@absamail.co.za

All my best,

Andrew.

Great idea

I hope I never have to do a clutch bleed ever agene but if I do I’m going to a junk yard and look for BMW or MB head light washer those are much more power than a window washer.

HAHAHA... WOW! What creative thinking...

I woulda never thought to BLOW the fluid backwards!

If it were not for "check valves" USUALLY found in master cylinders for brakes... this might ALSO work on calipers...ya think?

Cool trick...

I laughed myself silly the first time I saw this done. My father's favorite method of bleeding the hydraulic clutch system on his 61 MG Midget is to hook the front right caliper bleeder to the bleeder on the slave cylinder. When you pump the brakes it does the same thing as your electric pump. This works really well on the midget as it has one common reservoir for brake and clutch hydraulics so it never overflows.
Definetly Best of... material

Well....oh.

I have seen a few reverse bleed ideas, but this one sounds like constructive thinking in action. Good show. Where were you a couple of months ago!

Nothing like a 3 month learning curve, is there Larry?

Don't feel bad...

I've owned Black Tooth for 26 years and it was 15 years before I found that for 1979, Bertone installed an access panel between the rear trunk and the engine bay. All my books had 1979 as an addendum and never mentioned it. I don't know how many times I struggled with intake and exhaust manifold gaskets and alternators and the like... spending HOURS and HOURS on what now takes MINUTES to do. I coulda kicked myself.

When I finally posted my findings here... I KNOW there were many others in the same boat as I and several were even man enough to admit it! HAHAHAHA!

Now I recommend to all '78 owners and earlier... to take the time to cut and make a panel as the time to do that, will be less then the time to do any other job without its accessibility.

access panels

Don't feel bad...

I've owned Black Tooth for 26 years and it was 15 years before I found that for 1979, Bertone installed an access panel between the rear trunk and the engine bay. All my books had 1979 as an addendum and never mentioned it. I don't know how many times I struggled with intake and exhaust manifold gaskets and alternators and the like... spending HOURS and HOURS on what now takes MINUTES to do. I coulda kicked myself.

When I finally posted my findings here... I KNOW there were many others in the same boat as I and several were even man enough to admit it! HAHAHAHA!

Now I recommend to all '78 owners and earlier... to take the time to cut and make a panel as the time to do that, will be less then the time to do any other job without its accessibility.

On my 1974 I will also be installing BOTH access panels from the 1982 parts car.

Back