clutch

x192023

Dallas
I got in my x and the clutch go's all the way to floor with ease
it will pump up , fluid seems ok .. could this be a slave cyl.
or another problem ? I went thru this awhile back but was
low on fluid not the case this time.

As Gregory says...

What ya have here is a "soft failure" with a FIRM WARNING!

Time to bite the bullet and replace the master before yur stranded or trying ta get home clutch-less! Don't ask me how I know...

Little confused her,I have 2 refill units under the front hood one on the left is for the clutch and the other is for the brakes correct ?
where is the clutch master cylinder is it in that area as well.
and can you give me directions on changing it and where should I get the master cyl ,does matt have one or do you all know where to
get one..

Next to the brake master cylinder

The clutch master cylinder is right above the clutch pedal, next to the brake master cylinder.

This exact thing happened to me. The pedal/mc would work if you were very agressive with the pressure applied. Slow and steady went alll the way to the floor.

That's a sure sign of trouble

As I was looking for the clutch master cylinder I noticed some fluid on clutch pedal.

It is just barely possible that you have a leak where the hose from the reservoir enters the MC (this will let air into the system and allow fluid drip)... But much more likely your MC is going to have to be replaced.

The MC isn't very expensive, and if you replace it you should replace the hose as well on general principles (it'll never be easier).

Replacing the master cylinder is a fairly common-sense sort of job. The hardest part is the very cramped quarters under the dash... Take the steering wheel off, take out the driver's side seat, put a CF bulb in your shop light so you won't burn yourself.

Come back for advice on how to bleed the clutch circuit after you've made the necessary repairs.

I just did it

I just went thru the same process. Look up "clutch slave question" in the posts. I went thru quite a few steps and had to do everything twice before I got it right. The post goes into great detail about bleeding.
Good luck!

Should I just get a master clutch cylinder or the master and slave together
is the job that much harder to do both or just the one. noticed Matt had both of them for one price.

Speaking of clutches

Looking in the fill port of the clutch master cylinder, what is the smaller of the two holes for? What is the effect of plugging it?
IMG_2369.jpg

Lafayette Bruce

weakest link

Dallas -- when I recently encountered clutch failure, I asked the same question. I don't remember who (Tony or Bob) suggested doing both due to the "weakest link" syndrome. I did both. The slave is easier than the master anyway. I opted to remove the plastic coolant tank to get at the slave more easily and change the coolant at the same time.
This led me to some radiator problems -- but then that's another post!
Steve

Back