Coil trouble

tjc

Daily Driver
I have a stock electronic ignition setup from an '81 Fiat Spider in my Scorpion and I'm having an issue with poor running after trying to replace my current coil (which was non-stock).

Some time ago I swapped out the original coil in the electronic ignition system for an Accel 8145 that was originally in the Scorpion when I bought it and it had the original points distributor (it used a ballast resistor). That Accel coil ran in the electronic ignition system beautifully (w/o ballast, of course) for a few years until i noticed that it was leaking last week.

I then found what I thought was the original, a black Magnetti Marelli unit, into the ignition pack, but it ran like junk. It accelerated very poorly when revving it in neutral. I thought the Marelli coil I found in my cabinet was bad, so I swapped back in the Accel and it ran great again.

Now, I just bought a brand new Petronix 40011 coil to replace the leaking Accel, but it, too, ran very badly. Like it was only running on three cylinders!

Here are some specs of the coils I attempted to use:
Accel 8145 - primary resistance = 0.7 ohms spec, 1.0 ohm measured with my multimeter. Runs fine, but leaking.

Petronix Flamethrower 400011 - primary resistance = 1.5 ohms spec, 1.2 ohms measured.

Magnetti Marelli = 1.2 ohms measured.

My plugs are NGK BPE6ES and the only modifications to the engine are headers, exhaust, a 34DATRA carb and a lack of emissions controls.

What is going wrong here? Was the Petronix Flamethrower the wrong coil? Why didn't the Marelli (which I thought was stock for that ignition system) work? Is there a spec (primary resistance) I should be looking for? Is it not 1.5 ohms?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

My dumb guess would be the primary voltage to the coil might be off. Any of these coils have an internal resistor? What is the wire voltage at the coil?

Over 12v to the primary at key-on. But even if it was low, that wouldn't explain why the leaking Accel coil ran fine, while the Petronix ran rough. I'm wondering if I just bought the wrong spec'ed coil.

Back