Coilover Suspension Install

AZDrifter

True Classic
I am breaking in a new suspension. Here's the install and test run video on it. Sorry there aren't better close-ups. I will get some better footage in the follow-up video. There are some minor issues that I am working through- namely, the camber bolts slipped repeatedly in the autocross runs.

Excellent quality instructional video John. Thanks for putting it together for us! I don't autocross my X so not clear I want/need to invest in coilovers but those Vick's units look nice and having adjustable rebound and ride height would be kinda cool :cool:

John - This was great for lots of reasons. I'm also not looking to race, but was wondering how to improve the ride in my X and how difficult it is to install new coils. Your video was highly educational. Out of curiosity, what kind of spring tension was on stock coils in the early 80's? This is a part of the car I know ZERO about.

Jason, if you are looking for a good ride, my recommendation is stock springs and stock shocks in good condition!
The stock springs provide a surprisingly great ride quality for a sports car IMO.
Even lowering springs affect the ride quality by a bunch.
My buddy has stock springs in his X and I am always amazed when I ride in his car.

(I'll have to watch John's video when I get home)

There are some minor issues that I am working through- namely, the camber bolts slipped repeatedly in the autocross runs.

Minor issue?? How did they work loose? Any pics of the parts? Do they have an eccentric shouldered flange to alter camber or just oversize bore?

Yeah, camber slippage would be pretty "unsettling" to put it mildly. But the track is/was the best place to discover it rather than the public roads... Thanks for the video John, I was curious about the construction of the Vick's coilovers. Seems having the pivot bearings at the bottom spring perches may be not too great for road cars and the filth that they would encounter. I'd be tempted to mount them up high and partitioned from the flung elements. Keep us posted on your progress!

I will post a quickie video later to show up close what happened and how I am applying the Band-Aid to fix it. The strut to knuckle mount is slotted. I had the bolts pushed inward most of the way. While racing, they slid outward. It's partially because the eccentric washers are not held in place on both sides of the washer, like they are in modern production cars. Under normal conditions, there would probably my not be an issue. Running slaloms on R compound tires is an extreme application.

I think factory spring rates are around 130 front, 150 rear. Great for daily driving, but useless for racing.

I should clarify on the stock spring rates. Going into a turn, just one turn, or maybe a couple turns that are not back-to-back, the OEM suspension provides a lot of grip and feedback. It's shocking how good it is. Doing a slalom or rapid transitions, this becomes a hindrance. The car cannot regain its composure in time to react to the next turn. Autocross is all about rapid transitions. It takes a dedicated suspension setup that is not necessarily good for the street. The big thing I noticed with the new suspension was a reduction in feedback from the whole car. However, the transitions are much less dramatic in terms of body roll and waiting for the car to settle.

Unless I'm missing something, this seems like a deal-breaker for anyone wanting to use these on the street. I can only imagine how much grit those greased roller needle bearings will attract and eventually destroy themselves.

Seems having the pivot bearings at the bottom spring perches may be not too great for road cars and the filth that they would encounter. I'd be tempted to mount them up high and partitioned from the flung elements. Keep us posted on your progress!

Back