Color code for 73 yellow Spider

Austin

Daily Driver
Does anyone have the color code for the nice bright yellow used on Spiders? The "taxi yellow" I sourced from a touch-up paint place isn't right and I need to get some of the primered spots covered soon.

If anyone's had good luck with a particular supplier, that would be really great. I'd prefer one that can package in aerosol cans.

I don't have the code but I do have a supplier. It is either 272 or 297, it should be stamped into the aluminum plate in the engine compartment to the left of the engine on the firewall, it is riveted onto the car.

I have used http://www.automotivetouchup.com/
With good luck. They don't list your color but I am certain they can provide it for you if you can provide the right code.

Keep in king your color has changed due to sun and other environmental factors since it was applied.

Does anyone have the color code for the nice bright yellow used on Spiders?

If your car has the original DuPont paint, it may be Chrome Yellow #273 - not to be confused with Chrome Yellow #272. 273 was used on the 850's, while 272 was often used on other Fiats.

late850spiderpaint.jpg

Last edited:
I don't have the code but I do have a supplier. It is either 272 or 297, it should be stamped into the aluminum plate in the engine compartment to the left of the engine on the firewall, it is riveted onto the car.

Unfortunately, the VIN tag on his car is from a different Spider, so unless they both just happened to be painted the same color, that stamped paint code on his VIN tag would be useless to him. :(

Also, the VIN tag is not riveted onto the firewall, it's held on by 2 small Phillips pan-head screws. ;)

Unfortunately, the VIN tag on his car is from a different Spider, so unless they both just happened to be painted the same color, that stamped paint code on his VIN tag would be useless to him. :(

Also, the VIN tag is not riveted onto the firewall, it's held on by 2 small Phillips pan-head screws. ;)

All true, I forgot about that on the 850 and the details of his particular car's provenance. There is a stamped vin on the body in that same vicinity isn't there? Been looking at an X too much lately

I can confirm Karl's comments about automotivetouchup. I too have had very good luck with color matches from them, both on a Fiat and on other vehicles.

Thanks, everyone. Automotive touch up was who I ordered from but couldnt find a code for 73, so went with a 74 code that just isn't right. Tested on an underside, non- faded spot for reference.

Chrome yellow 273 sure looks right from that sample. Try, try again!

Thanks, everyone. Automotive touch up was who I ordered from but couldnt find a code for 73, so went with a 74 code that just isn't right. Tested on an underside, non- faded spot for reference. Chrome yellow 273 sure looks right from that sample. Try, try again!

You were close on the year(s), but you should've gone a year or two earlier instead of later. ;)

1973 was the last year for the 850 Spider, so a '74 paint would've been from another Fiat model (X1/9?), & some paint colors were not shared amongst other models. '70-'73 was the range for the late-model batch of colors on the 850 (with some colors also being carried forward from the earlier models).

Just for discussions' sake, here are some samples of the two other yellows Karl noted (272 & 297):

otheryellows.jpg

You were close on the year(s), but you should've gone a year or two earlier instead of later. ;)

1973 was the last year for the 850 Spider, so a '74 paint would've been from another Fiat model (X1/9?), & some paint colors were not shared amongst other models. '70-'73 was the range for the late-model batch of colors on the 850 (with some colors also being carried forward from the earlier models).

Just for discussions' sake, here are some samples of the two other yellows Karl noted (272 & 297):

otheryellows.jpg
Unfortunately, their online paint choices had nothing for 73 at all; 74 was the first yellow I found.

I couldn't find any of these references paint guides when I was trying to research. Are these from you guys' private stash or is there a resource I missed?

When I painted my X1/9 and my 850 Spider yellow, I wanted the brightest yellow I could find. I was disappointed in the 82213 Chrome Yellow that was period correct, though liked the also period correct 273, but couldn't find it anywhere, so went with a Ferrari paint ("FLY" (Ferrari Light Yellow)) instead. the codes for that is Giallo 8038 and I used Glasurite PPG.
1249056_0df3116060_low_res.JPG

When I painted my X1/9 and my 850 Spider yellow, I wanted the brightest yellow I could find. I was disappointed in the 82213 Chrome Yellow that was period correct, though liked the also period correct 273, but couldn't find it anywhere, so went with a Ferrari paint ("FLY" (Ferrari Light Yellow)) instead. the codes for that is Giallo 8038 and I used Glasurite PPG.
1249056_0df3116060_low_res.JPG

That yellow looks great. I'm a long ways from a total repaint, but when I'm there will keep this in mind.

IMG_0351.JPG
Ferrari Fly yellow also changed over the years. My understanding is that when it first debuted on the Dino prototype it was much lighter than later (above for example) versions.
This is a car I've done a lot of work on. When it was "restored" it was supposedly painted fly yellow but when we had to do some touch up it came out slightly lighter.

Unfortunately, their online paint choices had nothing for 73 at all; 74 was the first yellow I found.

I couldn't find any of these references paint guides when I was trying to research. Are these from you guys' private stash or is there a resource I missed?

Oh there are lots of sources. One of the best is the vintage DuPont site. It wasn't the one I looked at but I have used it in the past.

View attachment 3100 Ferrari Fly yellow also changed over the years. My understanding is that when it first debuted on the Dino prototype it was much lighter than later (above for example) versions.
This is a car I've done a lot of work on. When it was "restored" it was supposedly painted fly yellow but when we had to do some touch up it came out slightly lighter.
such a beautiful car!!! Tomorrow I'm going to post some photos of mine, including new steering wheel, shift knobs...and what actually MAY be of value...pictures of new mahogany dash panels I had made...AND if I can post it, a CNC computer file so that anyone near a CNC shop can have the old '72 style dash panels made themselves.

Lol Amiga A 1000 Boing Ball demo, from 1975 I think, very cool. Of course I don't have an A-1000 I have the AmigaOne X-1000 from 2015
A1000.jpg
x1000_case.jpg

Back