Coming to California!

Andrew Coles

Say no to rice
Hey all,

Have been talking on FB to Jim Pembrick, who suggested that since I'm coming to California in a few weeks, I should put a shout out to all of the X-Heads and see if anyone would like to catch up while I'm over there?

My rough plan is to get into LA on Saturday 5th September, where I'll pick up a rental car. My plan is to then spend the next 6 days road tripping North through San Fran and see some friends in Nor Cal, then head back down to LA to hopefully catch Cars n Coffee at Irvine on Saturday 12th, and the Formula Drift final (I know, don't judge me) at Irwindale on Sunday 13th.

I was then thinking of heading South toward San Diego on Monday 14th, and I fly out of LA back to Australia on Wednesday 16th.

So yea, those plans are just rough ones and are flexible to change. If we could work something out to catch up, that would be great!

Cheers,

Andrew

C. Obert & Co.

If I were making the trip I would swing by Chris Obert's shop in Santa Cruz, 70 miles south of San Francisco.

Hey all,

Have been talking on FB to Jim Pembrick, who suggested that since I'm coming to California in a few weeks, I should put a shout out to all of the X-Heads and see if anyone would like to catch up while I'm over there?

My rough plan is to get into LA on Saturday 5th September, where I'll pick up a rental car. My plan is to then spend the next 6 days road tripping North through San Fran and see some friends in Nor Cal, then head back down to LA to hopefully catch Cars n Coffee at Irvine on Saturday 12th, and the Formula Drift final (I know, don't judge me) at Irwindale on Sunday 13th.

I was then thinking of heading South toward San Diego on Monday 14th, and I fly out of LA back to Australia on Wednesday 16th.

So yea, those plans are just rough ones and are flexible to change. If we could work something out to catch up, that would be great!

Cheers,

Andrew

There are a few of us near enough to SF to at least grab a coffee somewhere. Also some events in September with Fiat America however not exactly in your planned times - http://fiatamerica.com/calendar/

Perhaps a meet up at the club meeting on Sept 9th?

I'm in San Diego along with at least.one more Fiat head. Could probably arrange something

If you swing thru Temecula... I'm halfway between San Diego and L.A. off I-15... I'll go have a beer and talk things Fiat with ya.

I haven't looked at a calendar, but I may be able to host at the warehouse. Given the heat, it may be a better choice to get the air conditioned clubhouse at the place I live in Pasadena.

Or, is there an iconic car museum that we should all go to? The Marconi tour was awesome.

Northern Calif.

While you are in Northern California you might look up Fiat America's website and see if they are having any events going on. They are a very active group. Dan Yee is the VP/ambassador. And I agree about stopping by Chris Oberts shop.
Good luck on your trip.
Richard (original owner of a 1975 X1/9)

Welcome to America Andrew...

Hey... I know you live upside down but I believe your calendar days are much the same as ours.

Take a good look again at September and your post and tell me if you see any discrepancies.

Secondly... write or call Dan Yee at Fiat America and do arrange to meet with these great folks. Also collect the $20 bucks he owes me and I'll split it with you when you come south...

Coming South... we really do need to meet up with you probably in the Orange County area so that the LA folks and the SD folks will have some sort of moderate drive. I think Ed's offer of his Pasadena clubhouse is a great idea... and maybe there are some folks a bit further south may have something comparable and accessible to all. I do feel Ed's Shop in Gardena is great for a work party but not for this kinda event, and the heat is rather miserable.

(BTW... this is NOT much warning... Geez!)

I live 40 miles northeast of LA and would be happy to host but its only me way up here. We'll definitely work on something... YOU need to square away your dates and itinerary and post it here!

Hope to see you soon...

This sounds like a good time. Have not been to an x get together in quite a while. Also Pasadena is so close. Santa Ana not bad either.

Hi guys,

Super sorry for my lack of communication! I'm actually traveling Europe on a Vespa at the moment and camping mostly, so my access to internet is somewhat limited of late. Finding the magic combination of both time and a net connection is a luxury! haha.

I'm sorry I did make an error in those dates - I will be arriving on Saturday 5th OCTOBER (I think all those dates should still line up, in October of course). I wrote that first post super quickly in a coffee shop, and I obviously didn't proof-read well enough. I'm really sorry for any confusion this caused.

A big catch up would be fantastic, and if Pasadena works out best for all of you and Ed's happy to host, then that sounds fantastic to me! But at the end of the day there's a whole lot of you guys and only one of me - my plans are loose, so it's certainly easier for me to fit in with what works for you guys. In terms of dates, if you're looking at a weekend date I'd suggest maybe the evening of Saturday 5th October, anytime on Sunday 6th October or the lunch/afternoon/evening of Saturday 12th October would work best for me. But I'll fit in with whatever works best for the group!

Sorry for the late notice. And if anyone is interested, here are a few quick shots of some of the Vespa parts of my trip so far :) Sadly I won't be bringing it to the States though, I have to sell it in a few weeks :(

1044708_10151782848510466_952365315_n_zpsfa4bc148.jpg

Porsche Curves, Le Mans 24hr

1013988_10151799028400466_386894113_n_zpsaced0b93.jpg

Somewhere in the Swiss Alps

971348_10151812854985466_119413485_n_zps6bb457b6.jpg

At the top of the Furka Pass, Switzerland

1012207_10151836131700466_2021110049_n_zpsb2873b7e.jpg

Nurburgring, Germany

643862_10151836131920466_305840866_n_zps68ccd707.jpg

Camping somewhere...

995483_10151863825350466_89374894_n_zps2e144c34.jpg

WRC Finland

969271_10151870734410466_80629492_n_zpse1ea86fb.jpg

Roadside Soviet aircraft display, Latvia

1006318_10151883576225466_1237415636_n_zps366dbbbb.jpg

Poland

1009846_10151883577360466_728530574_n_zps996844bb.jpg

Austria

996594_10151892569920466_733772228_n_zpsbe259cbf.jpg

Made it to the top of the Stelvio Pass... had to get off and walk alongside it a few times. 125cc isn't much.

1235950_10151895732640466_393902400_n_zps3b519b24.jpg

Lake Como

DSC_0686_zps41722581.jpg

Description not required :)

Great stuff and a great trip... I am envious!

As I said in my PM, ya gotta figure a way to be in SoCal on November 3rd. I'm sure my relatives in NorCal will be happy to give you a lift south for the BFI event. Besides, Dan Yee owes me $20 bucks...

See what you can do and get back to us...

If you ever make it to Denver...

...I can promise you a good old fashioned Aussie barbie!

Love the photos of your trip, keep them coming.

Cheers,

Aussie Rob

I would love to stay till November, but unfortunately the budget isn't going to allow that. I was hoping to do 2-3 months in the US, but I've spent waaaaay more than I planned in Europe so the US will sadly only be a few weeks. My flight home is already booked, and at this stage I'd be struggling to stay for an extra day or two let alone a couple of weeks!

Norcal visit

Hi Andrew,
If you have a bit of free time while in the San Francisco Bay Area please look us up. Our club FIAT America doesn't have any events planned during your time up here in early October but I'd be happy to meet up with you.
As for the $20 I owe Tony, I'd be glad to have you bring it to him if you'll be meeting up with him. Otherwise I'll pay up when I see him at the Best of France and Italy Show in Nov.
Dan Yee
fiatdan*comcast.net

Hey guys, I'm a little confused as to what is/isn't happening.

A few have mentioned that the Cal guys are looking to catch up anyway, but it's a little tricky for me to organize this because I've never been to the US, and I don't know where you're all located/where's a good spot to meet etc.

So... I'm free and available on the evening of Saturday 5th October, anytime on Sunday 6th October or after about 1pm on Saturday 12th October. I'll have my own transport, so it doesn't matter if it's a bit of a drive for me - more places to see!

I'm planning on going to Cars N Coffee at Irvine in the AM of Saturday 12th, so maybe that might work as a place to initially meet and then go for lunch or something?

So I guess I just need someone to step up and lock something in, and I'll be there. If that's a group event with a whole bunch that's fantastic, or if one person wants to meet up for a beer somewhere, that's cool too.

I guess rather than going around in circles, we should just lock something down and then everyone can work out if they can come or not.

Cheers :)

Back