common starter issue

Wish I had your urge to repair

Jeff... you are like a dog on a rag. You just don't give up. :)

Jeff... you are like a dog on a rag. You just don't give up. :)

Well, it's probably a bit of an unhealthy obsession but my personal goal is to use this car as a daily driver; EVERY day so I do what I can to keep it roadworthy every day. Maybe I'm addicted to fixing things. It's a very good feeling to attack and conquer and do it "the hard way" (repairing instead of replacing). Could have gotten a starter from Autozone for $52 and had fresh everything but would have been down for at least 2 days. [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Shop-Class-Soulcraft-Inquiry-Value/dp/1594202230"]Shopcraft as Soulcraft[/ame] pretty much nails it.
I'm a little proud that I've been able to drive a formerly neglected 30 year old foreign sports car as a daily commuter so far. Of course, without this forum I'd be dead in the water! Evertime I pass a $50,000 car I smile.

Last edited:
I never had shop class

That must be my problem. My parents sent my brother and I to the catholic seminary for high school. We had no shop class, but I can baptize babies in a pinch. I think you are supposed to pull them out of the water while they are still bubbling. I was never 100% clear on that though. ;)

Mom struck out, she got one marine and one harmless little fuzz ball (me). No priests.

No problem getting a '74 alternator from Autozone

a year ago.... They took the old one as a core and all that.

Repairs,,

fixed my 30 year old can opener today:woot: (never failed on a can yet) and has ice crusher. Took a few commercials time, switch contacts were burnt some. So, guess I enjoy fixing also.

I got a 1300 starter at Autozone

Not a problem for Autozone. I think I ordered from the web site and they shipped it to my door, no core charge IIRC. I still have the old starter anyway. :)

Back