Control arm!!!

tfphoenix

King Phoenix
Hey, I am preparing to drop my transmission, and I want to remove the control arm and strut and hub together but I cant seem to get the control arm bolts to budge at all! It's kind of a tight squeeze, no impacts or such. Any tips on removing it? I want to avoid disconnecting the calipers at all costs, it took forever to bleed so I want to leave the hoses attached and prop them on boxes.

*Remove the brake caliper from the bracket and wire it to the body (hint, use the brake hose bracket, but don't pull on the caliper if you do this).

*There are two M14 bolts and lock nuts and a thick washer under the nut that hold the A arm in place. Remove the nuts and washer, then remove the M14 bolt. It is likely the bolt threads will hang up on the thin spacers that prevent the rear suspension brackets from getting over compressed. Wiggle and tap on the M14 bolts until they are free, DO NOT POUND ON THE M14 bolts, something will get broken if excessive force is used.

While the order of these shims are not too critical, it is important that enough shims are put back between the A-arm bushing and rear suspension bracket to prevent over stressing the bracket. Put the bolt, shims, thick washer and nut back on the A-arm bushing. This way all is kept in order when it's time to put it all back together.

*Once the lower A-arm is removed, support the entire suspension assembly, then remove the three M6 nuts that hold the strut assembly to the chassis and remove the entire suspension assembly.

Bernice

Hey, I am preparing to drop my transmission, and I want to remove the control arm and strut and hub together but I cant seem to get the control arm bolts to budge at all! It's kind of a tight squeeze, no impacts or such. Any tips on removing it? I want to avoid disconnecting the calipers at all costs, it took forever to bleed so I want to leave the hoses attached and prop them on boxes.

Try lifting the hub with another jack

So that the arms do not droop, this seems to take pressure off the pivot bolts.

Good luck,

G

Back