Converting a 32 / 32 to support vac advance

All of this talk about vac advance / non vac advance, etc. has gotten me thinking a bit. What would be the best way to convert a 32 DMTR or 32 DATR to support a late-model Bosch electronic ignition advance mechanism?

On 74-78 US spec cars, as Tony K has told multiple times (and it's true!) the thing that looks like a vac advance module on the distributor is actually a vac retard mechanism. It gets its signal from either under the carb primary throttle plate, or the base of the intake manifold. It retards the spark at cold start, idle and then releases its effect as the throttle is tipped, going to zero effect when the engine is at max load.

On 79/80 carb cars, and on the later 80 1/2 - on FI cars, the vacuum signal is taken from just ahead of the throttle plate, meaning the effect is opposite. The strongest signal is achieved under maximum load and zero effect at idle or static operation. This is efficient for a number of reasons, namely ignition timing spikes at sharp throttle tip-in and full-on acceleration. If your set-up is running a bit rich, this will increase acceleration response.

So, back to the 32 series carbs. These things have no vac signal ports ahead of the butterfly. Seems fairly straightforward to drill a hole into the primary throttle bore at about the 4:30 position, relatively low in the bore right into the venturi area and swage a 4 or 5mm vacuum tap fitting.

Anyone have any success with such a solution?

-M

Hi Matt

Les (lezesig) had his solution posted years ago. Sadly, the pics have disappeared from the original thread. I was able to dig up some of his pics as well as the original thread, but I can't put the two together. Since you already have an idea of what you want to do, the post and pics will probably make sense.

Here is the old post sans pics:
http://www.network54.com/Forum/12159/message/1098648086

Here is a more recent post where I dug up the pics. They do have some text overlayed to help explain them:
http://www.network54.com/Forum/12159/message/1192226948

I hope this helps. Les was happy with this change.

Good luck!!

Hi Matt,

This is was I have done last weekend.
It's also the reason I asked you for a gas linkage rod as I broke mine during disassembling and a seet of new gaskets.
Here is a photo of the hole I made.

I simply followed the instructions from above mentioned links...
...and support from Tony, that is also the reason why my hole is to the left.
When I have received the parts, I will know more about the effect of it.

I don't get it

Hi Matt,

I don't get it.
Why not just add a vac. port to the intake manifold?
Aren't you looking for a std. vac. signal for vac. advance?

No..........

.....Ulix, 'std' manifold vacuum applied to the vacuum advance unit would create full advance at idle speed - exactly what you DON'T want!

Vacuum supply to the vacuum advance unit is tapped from slightly ABOVE the throttle butterfly, and the degree of vacuum supplied is influenced by the butterfly position i.e. NO vacuum advance at idle, and high vacuum advance at moderate engine rpm/low throttle opening e.g, cruise speed.

cheers, Ian - NZ

Hi Ulix,

As I understand you want no vacuum when the engine is running idle.
Only when the bufferfly valve opens, and the engine creates vacuum, you want to advance the distributor.
Also when you floor the pedal, there is an immediate lack of vacuum, and there is no advance...it starts again when the engine catches up.
Tony has explained it beautiful to me, I hope I said it right.

Oops, of course!

Thanks, I should start thinking before writing.
Haven't worked with a car with vac. advance in a long time.
I use a Plex 201 distributor. I probably could save some gas with a different dist then...

Tale of two Xs...

...identically equipped '79s.
Basically stock,
except for 32 dmtr and no cat.
Both in good nick,
valves set properly,
carbs rejetted,
intial advance bumped up.

One X is the former LezX MelloYello,
now in MM's Cosmic Garage.
One X is the former MM IceBlueX,
now in Jeff/GigHarbor Garage.
(What is this...musical Xs?...or X Swapping? Heh)

Only other difference is:
ported vacuum + mechanical advance on LezX,
vs straight mechanical on IceBlueX.

As one who has driven both cars,
I feel LezX has noticeably
stronger acceleration than IceBlueX.
Other factors are conceivable,
but on paper,
the cars are virtually identical.
Except for the ported vac advance.
Discuss.

Hi Paul

Just reading your post on the mod you did on your carb. Can you give us an update on the change this made to the performance. I have exactly the same 78 car/carb and am thinking of doing this as well. Cheers,
Terry

Terry,
Overall I'm very happy with the mod.
It gave my X an extra bit of smoothness.
Mainly in the midrange of the rpm's I notice a difference.
One remark I have to make, is that I kept my advance at -10.
I tried -5, but this made it worse than without the vacuum connected.
/Paul

Back