Converting: Cali Carb Exhaust to 4-2 manifold

I'll have to look under the '85 to see what's there. Haven't had a chance to do anything with it after dragging it to the workshop. Seems a bit odd they would go back to the rigid mount; is there some sort of spring-loaded joint to allow movement?

Yes but they are all so corroded now that they likely don’t allow movement (if they ever did)

I know my spring loaded joint is toast. You can see it in one of the pics. One of them doesnt even have the top of the bolt on it and the spring is still stuck.

That’s how I made my custom exhaust for the ‘74. It’s still fully supported by the drivetrain but has a flex joint to keep things from cracking:

View attachment 10254
View attachment 10255
I am approaching the point where I need to build an exhaust system for my 74 and was considering taking advantage of the original muffler support hardware. Do you have any close ups of the attachment points? Also, what mufflers are you using?

Thanks,

Don

You can see the two mounting brackets in this picture:
4CED19A6-F6FE-4B25-9196-8D9EC0628F2F.jpeg

The mufflers are Walker resonators.

I am approaching the point where I need to build an exhaust system for my 74 and was considering taking advantage of the original muffler support hardware. Do you have any close ups of the attachment points? Also, what mufflers are you using?

Thanks,

Don

Last edited:
The big U shaped transmission mount in the photos above are OE 74. Reached through a hole in the rear bulkhead to support the muffler. The whole system was supported off the drivetrain and moved with it.

The late model cars, with cats, went back to a hybrid. The transmission/engine mount with the arm, supplemented with springs. Worked OK but the spring hangars wear out and the springs break.

The original muffler on my 74 started rattling when the car was a little over a year old - must have been a loose baffle or something. The noise got so bad over time that it helped me justify buying headers and getting rid of it. I went with the later model spring mounts for the new system but was never too happy with it. It seemed like there was always a broken or stretched spring or something else going out of whack. Fortunately, I held on to the original muffler brackets for the last 40 years or so and I think that my new system will be something more similar to what Mark did.

So if I'm seeing it right, Mark's system has two "solid" mounts (one off the lower eng/tans mount below, and one bolted to the trans/diff housing above) plus a flex joint in the middle of the system (between the header and the exhaust). That should be a good combination to allow for vibrations and support the weight securely.

That's a good picture of how it all works. Given the stock muffler is fairly compact, does not extend too far, and has no catalytic converter, I can see why the "solid" mount was done. But I really don't think it's suitable for the later style exhaust without some sort of flex coupling....too much weight and length to deal with.

That's a good picture of how it all works. Given the stock muffler is fairly compact, does not extend too far, and has no catalytic converter, I can see why the "solid" mount was done. But I really don't think it's suitable for the later style exhaust without some sort of flex coupling....too much weight and length to deal with.
I’ve found some 1.5” flex joints that I will be incorporating into my 2-1 and then I think I’ll do a 1.75” flex joint before merging with the cat. A quick cursory glance and I think it can be done. One corner is fairly sharp to the cat but I believe it will fit.

Back