COOL EXPERIENCE!

eflexter

Eddie Flexter
Now I'm trying to find some VW wheels to go on my X. I decided to go to one of those You-wrench-it type salvage yards where you walk around and find what you need yourself. It was the most fun I've had in YEARS!!

It was like going to a car show, but all the cars are displayed in sort of an exploded view! You can walk around and gaze inside every kind of car on the road. You can see the guts of Honda 16 valve heads, and Jag straight sixes, and big ugly Mercedes four cylinders.

The reason I'm posting it here: it's a FANTASTIC way to be able to examine all kinds of different parts first-hand. For those fabricating exhausts, there are all kinds of flex joints, elbows, mufflers just laying on the ground ready to pick up. Switches, seats, alternators, tires, wheels, tail lights, engines all exposed to be measured and examined for possible augmentation projects.

Of course I felt sorry for all the cars there......but I'm going back on the weekend where I can spend more time!!

I didn't find the wheels I was looking for. But I'll have fun looking again!!

You'll have fun trying to get VW wheels to fit...

Besides the fact that the PCD of VW wheels is 4x100 and the X is 4x98 you also have to consider the offset of the wheels and the center bore.

If you're running on stock suspension struts and springs most wheels will not even get close to the hub, coilovers or spacers would be required to get the wheel to the right position

Then there's the center bore, fiat use 58mm, VW use 57mm so the wheel will just not go over the center protrusion of the hub

bolt on spacer/pcd adaptor plates are available, but I have a feeling the center bore is bigger than fiat (most aftermarket wheels have a larger center bore and then rings are used to fill the gap)

Hope this helps
Cheers
Neojames2k

Dang!

May have to buy a set - then I can use Volvo rims :rolleyes:

EDIT ;

or something like this
15x6.5, 40mm offset

reactive4hmbr3.jpg
.. already has the red accent to match the car

On Topic: We don't have any JY's around here anymore = EPA closed 'em all down. I used to love walking through & looking at all the different models & suspension designs, etc... nothing better than looking at all that stuff in the flesh.

I had a '57 baja bug

I spent alot of saturdays walking around the junkyards looking for stuff to transplant. It ended up with more Japanese parts in it than German. :)

I miss that car.

Back