Coolant temp and oil pressure

128berlina

Daily Driver
index.php

Got this in the mail the other day for my Fiat 128.... 1116 engine....
Is there a way to "rig" up this stuff? There is only a switch for oil pressure and coolant. Can I replace these with something suitable for these gauges? What type of senders should I use to get correct readings?

Thnx

For the oil pressure, you have several options:

You can use an oil pressure port doubler like this one to connect both an oil pressure switch and an oil pressure gauge sender to the same port on the block.

You can get a combination oil pressure switch/ oil pressure gauge sender. The challenge is finding one with the right sender characteristics for your gauge as well as the right oil pressure switch trip point.

You can get feed-through oil pressure gauge senders like this one. Again you need to make sure the sender characteristics matches your gauge.

The most elegant solution is to use genuine Fiat parts... like these.

The alternative would be drill and tap the block with another hole.

http://www.ladapower.com/index.php?...emart_product_id=751&virtuemart_category_id=2

ladapoweralso have about the cheapest oil pressure senders too...russian made.

but shipping could easily be more than the part!

For the temp gauge... you need the variable sender, which screws into the same port in the head and replaces the temp light switch, just like lots of other Fiats (including an X1/9) have...

SteveC

Steve, thank you..

The two pictures, I tried clicking on them but nothing comes up.

Are those the "actual" senders that I need? I will use the splitter to keep the old oil light switch operative.

Regarding the tachometer, is it "simple" to wire it up to the coil? Or is there a trick of some kind? I havent looked behind the original one in the car yet, but according to pictures online they are identical, including the plugs on the back

The tach is easy to wire up. You need a wire from the neg terminal of the ignition coil which is the signal wire. Also need a positive and neg wire. The hardest part is figuring which terminals in the back of the instrument pod take these wires. Also, the neg and pos wires might be already provided into the basic harness of this gauge cluster.

As noted above, for the oil and temp gauges just use Fiat sending units.

ok, ill check the workshop manual, it might have a wiring chart

thnx for all the help guys!

the 128 is coming along nicely!!

http://www.ebay.it/itm/7-0003-Bulbo...369974?hash=item3f4d924036:g:DvEAAOSwA4dWL474

Facet 7.0003 switch, needs to be M14 x 1.5 pitch thread,some models (like 850 and A112 use M12 x 1.5)

The sender unit (transducer) suits ritmo /croma etc...then you don't need a "spliter" as the light switch and the transducer work together without any adaptors.

I 'think' this one here will do the job...but would need to look at my parts manuals when I'm at home in a couple of days...

http://www.ebay.it/itm/BULBO-PRESSI...018673?hash=item3f5f40c031:g:LCoAAOSwHxVW8CSp

edit: that one only reads to 6bar... really you want one that's 8 bar for a full sweep of the gauge.
fiat part numbers 5971468 - 82353871 - 82387236 is to suit the 14mm switch unit, ritmo 105,125, 130tc, croma i.e.,127 sport with my onboard computer OE parts lists, but no manufacturer part number cross reference

SteveC

Last edited:
Back