cooling dual DCNF's

fiatmonkey

Tim Hoover
Hi,

I am wondering if anyone has a dual weber DCNF carb fan setup to keep the carbs cool during hot idle situations? I am interested in doing something that is auto with a temp switch. I don't have a stock carb setup but do have the cooling fan/switch from an FI car and wondering if I could make this work. I would modify it so the fan could come on with the car running as I believe for the FI cars it only comes on when the ignition is shut off.

Questions then:

1) Does anyone know the temp threshold for FI fan switch?
2) Where would be an ideal place to mount the temp switch? Leave it on the cam box or move it somewhere else?

I would leave the fan where it is in the left side rear boot but modify the point where the hose enters the engine bay so it more efficiently directs the air at the carbs.

Any thoughts?
Thanks,
Tim

I've been contemplating building my 1600 engine and just throwing the Marelli Plex and dual DCNFs on it so I can stuff it into the '85 for a while. Within that thought process I've been considering exactly what you're proposing. It looks like the FI cooling setup could be easily adapted and would work quite well if the air was primarily directed at the float bowls. Heat soak should be pretty similar at the carbs as it is at the original temp sensor location, so the sensor would probably work just fine where it is. I haven't checked the original FI fan manifold but a bracket could probably be made to use it, either in stock form, or somewhat modified.

I think it'd be worth doing. In conjunction with a good heat shield and phenolic spacers the carbs should stay reasonably cool.

Back