Cooling issue.

dcioccarelli

Dominic Cioccarelli
Hi all,

I just got back to Australia and picked up my 1300 X1/9 (following a 2 year restoration: photos to come). Overall, everything was good. After I adjusted the points gap she fired up straight away. The only other issue was a stuck rear calliper.

One issue that I have noticed is that whilst the car isn't really overheating, it is exhibiting strange symptoms. The running temperature seems to be ok, although the radiator fan keeps cutting in (even when the temperature sensor in the instrument cluster only shows 50 degrees: 1/4 of the way).

I have bleed the cooling system well, but the issue seems to persist. Obviously the temperature switch that plugs into the radiator could be at fault, although normally they simply stop working: I've never seen one change its operating point.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what else could be at fault? What could result in a high temperature within the radiator itself but a cooler temperature at the block?

Cheers,
Dom.

I personally have never had that issue. Are you sure the temp gauge is correct? Could be failing and showing a colder temp?

It can fail and read incorrectly; mine failed the opposite way last summer and the car read about a 1/4 higher than it really was.I s

Sorry - wrote guage and I meant sensor ;)

Last edited:
The running temperature seems to be ok, although the radiator fan keeps cutting in (even when the temperature sensor in the instrument cluster only shows 50 degrees: 1/4 of the way).

That's 50 Celsius, right? (112 Fahrenheit to us Americans).

The temp gauge has to be lying to you. There's no way that that your cylinder head could be that cool and you'd still say that the running temperature "seems to be ok".

have you bled system

Hi Dom
This may be stating the obvious but have you purged the system of any air by opening the purge vent of top left radiator? I think its an M8 cap screw. I loosen it with an alan key then use an M8 with 1/2"drive socket to open it up a bit.
Nick

Remember that the two systems (temp gauge vs radiator fan temp unit) are separate and work independently of each other. Without knowing more about when the fans come on and off in relation to driving conditions, my first guess would be electrical. It sounds almost like you have an intermittent ground issue from the 85 pin on the relay. Hopefully by now (it's been a few weeks since the last post) you've already got it all worked out...

Back