Correct Lug Nuts?

ecohen2

True Classic
Right before I sold my X1/9 I had gone to studs with open ended lug nuts on my Cromodora rims. I remember ordering the studs and nuts and being told they were the correct ones, but they really don't look right. Does anyone have any thoughts on these?

Attachments

• IMG_6811.jpeg
    IMG_6811.jpeg
    94.8 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_6812.jpeg
    IMG_6812.jpeg
    136.6 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_6814.jpeg
    IMG_6814.jpeg
    147.6 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_6815.jpeg
    IMG_6815.jpeg
    150.5 KB · Views: 61
Looks fine from here. If the wheels are staying on I think they are functionally OK. :) What is it about the look that you don't like?

daytona_2.JPG

Here is an old picture of one of my Daytonas fastened with 19mm lug bolts. They appear to have a similar fit at the point of contact. Your lug nuts look like they have 17mm heads, which changes the overall appearance by showing more of the cone edge. You could try a set of 19mm closed end nuts and see if that looks better to you.

On mine only the very tip is making contact with the rim and at a weird angle. The photo of the lug nut shows the wear mark and unlike yours the photo of the rim shows how much the nut sticks out.

I went out to the garage and dug out a (left to right) 19mm open end lug nut, a 19mm lug bolt and a 17mm closed end lug nut. Getting a good picture was problematic, but all show a narrow contact mark near the tip of the cone. I would say the 19mm open end shows the most contact, but the cone "looks" shorter, I didn't try to measure any of the angles or lengths.

20231229_084254.jpg

On mine only the very tip is making contact with the rim and at a weird angle. The photo of the lug nut shows the wear mark and unlike yours the photo of the rim shows how much the nut sticks out.
Hard to tell from your photos, but (unlike most other Daytona photos I can recall) it appears you have a shoulder/flange at the base of the stud hole. If that's accurate, perhaps you need a nut with a different profile. Something similar to this.

shopping

Now you need some folks with stock Fiat wheels to check their lug nuts/bolts to see what the "contact point" wear marks look like. Could be they all have a visible contact "ring" rather than a full surface contact.

Yup, trying to avoid the broken wheel.... Someone way over torqued a couple of them and it shows...

Ugh, wheel bolts and boring wheels, although Ed is probably more up for that than me.

Yeah the Tron rims are pretty bad. I am going to take one of my rims to a wheel shop and figure this out. I’ll post the results when I get them.

Last edited:
I change my tron wheels for oz route wheels. As I did this I discovered I also had to change wheel bolts as the shoulder was different. Always a bit of a shame as the tron wheel bolts have bertone stamped on the heads. Still At least I know my wheels are secure.

I think taking a wheel to a wheel shop and have them find the correct angle fitting for you is the best solution.

Back