Couple of painting questions...

halojm

True Classic
1. I'd like to take out the rear window before i have the car painted. Any tips?

2. I want to remove the windshield chrome trim (without damaging it). Any tips?

Thanks, Dave

Hey Dave... As Jiminy stated, sort of...

Note in Matt Brannon's messsage the LAST thing he says is bolt up the retaining plate for the rear window.

To remove the rear window, its the FIRST thing ya gotta do.

Its been a long time, but I believe I did mine this way, and since yur repainting anyway, it should not be any extra effort for you.

1. First remove the engine cover AND its hinges, and spring.

2. You MAY want to remove some of the fuel line separators if applicable and if they are in your way.

3. Unbolt the retainer under the window, it may be hidden uder the foil insulation.

4. Use a soapy hand soap solution, or diluted dishwashing soap... and squirt it under the rubber seal and the metal around the targa bar.

5. "Massage" the window gently (by reaching inside with one hand and outside with the other...) pulling it down and then squirting more soap in and around it and the rubber seal, all while gently pulling DOWN on the window. Use the soap INSIDE as well... pulling and squirting and going back and forth... Give it time and it will eventually come out. It will also go back in very easily after the channel and everything is al cleaned up. Its probably been in there 30 years!

For the Windshield Trim... Using a long narrow Xacto Blade is best... slide it under the trim on the GLASS side toward the PAINTED frame and gently cut it free as you circle the entire glass area.

Glue it back on with the same sealant as used for the glass or use some silicone sealer, clear or black, when you are ready to reinstall.

Thanks,

Everything worked perfectly. The body shop was amazed that I found out how to remove the rear window and trim so quickly.

Dave

Back