Couple of radiator fan questions

Well if you wanted to switch a single phase motor. IE DC 12v you could with a high powered mosfet, it seems an odd way to do it though...variable voltage would make more sense or a three phase motor though would lend itself to being controlled by a PWM signal and that’s how a lot of E bikes and scooters work but it does need a controller and it’s not something the ECU would do directly I wouldn’t think

A DMOS solid state relay could work for that application. If you don't need the isolation, you could go with just a transistor and a few components.

Well if you wanted to switch a single phase motor. IE DC 12v you could with a high powered mosfet, it seems an odd way to do it though...variable voltage would make more sense or a three phase motor though would lend itself to being controlled by a PWM signal and that’s how a lot of E bikes and scooters work but it does need a controller and it’s not something the ECU would do directly I wouldn’t think

So here's the thing - the Volvo fan is modulated, and since the (Volvo) ECU is providing the trigger for the controller (4/71) in the diagram, I'm trying to figure out how it does so without resorting to additional wiring/circuits. I guess I will just have to hook it up remotely (the entire Volvo assembly in previous pic) to the Fiat & see what happens when the Honda EMS senses the coolant temp is in need of the fan

Last edited:
Back