Courtesy Light

Carl W

Daily Driver
I know this is a little thing, but the courtesy light was not turning on when I open the card doors. It will turn on manually. I bought a new set of door plungers. I was able to fish out the old plug on the drivers side and replaced it. On the passenger side the wire wouldn't pull out and I didn't want to tug too hard fearing it was used for some other function. Anyway, the light still does not turn on when the door opens. However the bell reminding you of the key in ignition now shuts off when the door closes so I had some success. Could the problem be that I need to replace the passenge side switch as well? Thanks in advance.

Door light switch.

The door light switch only should have 1 wire on it. The switch only grounds the wire when the door is opened. To prove, the wiring ground out the wire at each door. If the light comes on then the switch is either dirty or faulty. Most of the problem is a rusted connection between the case of the switch and the body of the car.

TonyK.

Grimsby Ontario Canada.

Check your grounds to the lamps

I've found the grounds to be an especially weak point to the lamps.
Though the doorbell is on the same (relative) circuit, the door lights are fed from a timer relay in the fusebox.

I actually got it to work, at least on the drivers side. The wire I found on the passenger side seems to be attatched to something as it won't pull out at all. I'm happy with what I have. Thanks for the help.

On the subject of dome light. How do you remove the lense to change the bulb? I was affraid to break it. I wasted to see what bulb fits in there to do an LED conversion.

Back