"Creating" a new member...

DanielForest

True Classic
Now that my white Bertone is on the road and going well (but still many things to be sorted out), I now hope to find time to invest in putting back my black x19 that is in stortage for more than 20 years. So I explained to my 18 years old son, that, if he wants to drive the white one, that is fine with me but it will be a father and son project where I will supply the parts and he will do the jobs (with parental supervision). He already did 2 drives yesterday after I told him. So, maybe he will join the forum soon! I'm still the owner of the car, but when the black car will hit the road again, maybe there will be a change of ownership for the whit one!

Dear god, TWO of them to contend with? :eek:

It would be nice to see your son get interested in classic cars. I always admire parents that keep involved with their kids. Nice job. ;)

Cars have been nurturing father-son relations for a century. An opportunity to bond, share a passion, inspire achievement, teach responsibility and build knowledge that will serve a child throughout their life. :)

The original plan was to sell it. I had a buyer last fall, but since the transmission was still out of the car, he found another one. Finally, I'm happy I keep it. My son always showed interest in my x19 and even got manual transmission daily driver. I was needing the money to pay my taxes, but, hey, I will pay the interests for a few months, but working with my son will be fun. Also, my wife didn't wanted me to kee2 x19s but she's fine with the idea of the father and son project. So I am the winner! I can keep the car and have somebody to work on it!

The idea came to me when an old friend called me. He had the same year x19 than mine (1980), nearly the same serial number, both originally brown, both now black. His birthday is the same date than mine, but he's more than 10 years youger than me. He grew up become a tall and large office policer and he barely could fit into the x19 anymore. His car was sitting at my best friend place (which is also my mechanic) for more than 10 years now. When he called me, I was thinking he wanted me to buy his car for parts. But NO, he also had a 18 years old son and he wanted to do a father and son projet. Mine will be much easier, the car is running. He will have to redo the engine, brakes, clutch, but he know a good mechanic and I have most of the used parts he could need. So that will be nice to meet altogether.

Btw, here a picture of his car.
20200804_151811.jpg

I had a father-son bonding project with my dad. He drove his daily driver Jag XKE and I repaired it. As a high school student, this was the first car I ever wrenched on.

Back