Cromodora CD 31 wheels for sale 13 x 5.5

You will sell these wheels in no time. They are among the best looking for the X, or any compatible sports car, and your price is very fair. I bet that before the day is over, they will be spoken for.

I stumbled onto these wheels on an auction site and contacted the seller for more info. Rob sent me some pics and I was very impressed with (a) the condition of the wheels, (b) the very reasonable price, (c) and Rob's responsiveness and courteous manner.

Based on the hi-res pix Rob sent, IMHO you could do a little touch up and mount these and they'd be a very nice addition to any X. But since these are in such great shape already (none of the unfortunate corrosion these wheels can get when neglected), they're perfect candidates for professional refinishing which would put them into concours condition for life.

I emailed Rob back and told him that he should list them here on XWeb and I (and apparently Bob Brown, too :pimp:) am glad he did...these wheels belong on a nice X :nod:

I would have jumped on them in a minute but I already purchased and professionally refinished different "signature" wheels for my car.

I had a set that I restored and sold

...and regretted it afterward.
So I'm looking to obtain another set. :woot:

Restoration (for me) takes literally the best part of 2 full weekends.
I strip them down completely, steel epoxy fill the divets and 3-stage paint them.
It's a lot of work, but the results are worth it.

Speaking of CD31 s.....

Hi Rob 124 AC. Welcome to the forum. Please let me apologize for highjacking your thread. But it looks like your wheels have already been sold so perhaps you will forgive the intrusion....

To Bob Brown : I have recently aquired a set of CD31 s. The real magnesium ones (circa 1980). I think maybe there were some later reproductions in aluminum ? Anyway, my wheels are in pretty good condition except for some corrosion in the centre hole and some curb rash. And need to be restored.

Now it is my understanding that the pro wheel refinishers deal with curb rash by filling the divots with weld and then machine the lips on a lathe until smooth. But of course this is usually with an aluminum wheel. I think perhaps magnesium can be welded but...

You indicated in your reply that instead you fill the divots with "steel epoxy" . Do you mean like JB Weld ? I have thought of doing that too but am concerned about a chemical or galvanic reaction between the magnesium and the steel particles in a "steel epoxy". I know for sure that magnesium will corrode badly if in contact with steel. For proof just look where the magnesium wheel contacts the steel hub...

But have you had success in the past by doing this ? I am certainly NOT critisizing you. I am trying to figure out what actually works. Especially in the long term.

And how did you strip them ? Chemically or by blasting ? What chemical or media did you use ?

I'll probably end up having mine professionally restored but at least I'd like to make sure they are doing it right.

Thanks, Doug

Bummer.

Seems like whenever an opportunity like this arises I'm always the last to know. :(

Not that I have the cash available, but I would have been sorely tempted to drum some up.

Hi Doug, I'm not an authority on the subject

But I'm relatively sure the steel epoxy won't cause corrosion to the magnesium because the steel is encapsulated in the epoxy.
Also, (in my case) I've already put a coat of Primer on the rims before the epoxy.

Couple things to note with my application:
I used "aircraft" chemical strip to remove the original coatings, then glass bead blast to remove the inside hub corrosion.
The wheels I restore need only cosmetic (deep scratches or minor dings) repairs. The epoxy is sanded after a 24-hour cure and the areas re-primed with an air brush.
Then smoothed using a fine steel wool pad and wiped clean. (steel pad like SOS soap pad texture but without the soap)

The base coat is DuPont Centari and the gloss coat is Imron clear.

Hope that helps

Hi Dan,

Thank you again for the referral and kind words.

Yes the wheels are most likely sold to Bob

I also have another set of these wheels and those have been put to the side for another forum member. If we do not come to an agreement, "docpan" you are next on the dibs list

On a side note: what other 70s Cromodora wheels are desired for the X?? I have other styles!

One is a set of these & I think they would also look very nice on the X

http://s537.photobucket.com/user/ACcoupe/media/DCP_0288.jpg.html?sort=3&o=38

Robert

Last edited:
3rd Dibbs

I might as well add my name to the list just in case. I guess I should have done it after Bob. Who would have guessed a 2nd set would be available. :sigh:

Confirmed, wheels sold to Bob.

Second set most likely sold.

Just located & waiting delivery of 2 wheels, so a third set of CD31 will be available soon, Docpan.

As for a fourth set that is very possible if you are a bit patient bg82x

Looking for a 5th Cromodora CD31 for a spare tire

Hi;

I have Cromodora CD31's on my 74 X19 that came with my X when I bought it from Kelvin

I am looking for a single Cromodora CD31 for mounting a spare tire.

PM me if just one wheel is for sale by itself.

Thanks,

Back