Curb weight thread

rx1900

1981 X1/9
I had posted the info below in another thread. Upon reflection......this was perhaps not appropriate and pertinent to the original thread. My apologies.

So thought it might be good to start a new thread here.

For what it is worth....according to the official Fiat service manual ( found here in the Wiki section ) for '79-''82 North American models.....the curb weight is listed as 2130 lbs for both carbed and EFI models without A/C. And to add 80 lbs for the A/C models.

I do think the NA models are considerably heavier than the euro models....as the NA models had bumper shocks instead of just tubes, supposedly impact beams in the doors, catalytic converters. etc.......

and...for what it is worth ( from a search here ) for future reference...

Tony K claims his '87 with Abarth 500 engine, A/C, P/W, full fuel tank....is 2195 lbs

Roobus claims his K20 converted X ( not sure of year or A/C ) is 2000 lbs

Pete claims his '87 with K20 engine, A/C, P/W......is 2140 lbs

Braydon claims his "latest conversion" K20 swapped X is.....1952 lbs

I think...all the above engine swapped X's do not carry a spare tire.

Strangely....I could find no posting from anyone actually weighing a stock X1/9. Frankly...not sure how much I trust the "official" Fiat stated weight

Kindly add to this any real world weighings.....

Found a post from rturchan from 2012:
I weighed my X19 yesterday. 2182 pounds with 1.5 gallon short of a full tank.
Front=898, 41.1%
Rear=1284, 58.9%
It is a 1983 with A/C and 13x7 revolutions wheels and 205/185 tires. Bumpers are 1974 conversion, so that saves another 30 pounds

From same 2012 thread. From ///Mike

My air conditioned '85 went right at 2200 on my scales. That was in stock configuration with a full tank of fuel, so the two cars are very close.

Last edited:
1950 pounds with 4 gallons of gas but no spare tire. Full sized battery, B20 VTEC power plant, Miata seats, magnesium rims, euro type bumpers, no radio. I think it would be fairly easy to get it to 1925 lbs. or so, but after that you'd probably have to start gutting pieces of the car and swap out metal panels for fiberglass ones.

My DSP Championship X1/9 was the lightest DSP X1/9 I ever saw at 1925 lbs. That weight included 13x8.5" wheels with 225/45-13 tires, about 2 gallons of fuel. Obviously no spare. Most every other car as 1975 and up. Mine was built from a bare tub.

I should note that the K20 6 speed transmission is lighter than the X1/9 5 speed. I haven't compared the weight of the motors but I am pretty sure the K20 aluminum block is going to be a significant reduction in total weight.

My X is 1820lb with 1/3 tank of gas. It's gutted about as far as you can go and reasonably driven on the street. Bumper delete, interior gutted, no headlights, stock 1500 with dual IDFs and header/turbo muffler. Oddly for that weight it has glass flares, 13X8 wheels with 205/60 tires and an Autopower rollbar. So if I wasn't tied to fashion I could get into the 17s without much trouble.

A Road and Track 1980 update roadtest of the new injected X gave the weight as 100 lb more than the carbed 1500 which would put it at 2230lb.

My mainly track X but occasionally road registered weighs 1543 lbs (700 kg). Gutted interior, fibreglass hood & trunk (still hinged), alloy door skins & engine cover, lexan side & rear windows, fixed headlights, alloy radiator & coolant pipes, bike battery. 13 x 6 & 13 x 7 with Toyo R888R. (No cage)

Last edited:
My mainly track X but occasionally road registered weighs 1543 lbs (700 kg). Gutted interior, fibreglass hood & trunk (still hinged), alloy door skins & engine cover, lexan side & rear windows, fixed headlights, alloy radiator & coolant pipes, bike battery. 13 x 6 & 13 x 7 with Toyo R888R.
That's impressive. If I ever get around to building the "Outlaw X" (a track day car that is still somewhat street legal, similar to you) I'd like to get it down to around that weight. Now imagine that with a drivetrain swap with 250-300 HP. :)

250+ hp would be exciting.
But even with my 135 hp 1500cc it has the same power/weight ratio and performance (except top speed) as a Lancia Stratos Stradale.

Last edited:
Found the pics! I measured this in 2008.

2150lbs with half tank and roof on.
My seats are BiMarco race style seats (quite light compared to stock)
Stock exhaust with catalytic
Addco front anti roll bar
Stock suspension w/KYB struts
OE radiator
No spare tire

1644104389913.png

1644104423881.png

Found the pics! I measured this in 2008.

2150lbs with half tank and roof on.
My seats are BiMarco race style seats (quite light compared to stock)
Stock exhaust with catalytic
Addco front anti roll bar
Stock suspension w/KYB struts
OE radiator
No spare tire

View attachment 57804

View attachment 57805

Hey Myron. Thanks for posting.

But.....for accuracy...your text says 2150 lbs..while your pic says 2051 lbs ???

And....for the record....A/C or non A/C ?? Full-size battery ? And factory jack and tool kit ?

I think he had a typo, that is less than I would have thought. So without the bumpers and smog, and a lighter exhaust.
You could be down to 1950 lbs.

Once Mark Plaia and I weighed both of our 74 X 1/9's. They were pretty much the same, he had a hot 1300 in it at the time, I had a dual carb 1500. His came in at just a touch over 2,000. Mine for some reason came in at 1930. We could not figure out where the 80 lbs was from. Gas was about the same as well.

Now, my 74 race car came in a just over 1500, had to add 50lbs of weight to get it to qualify for DP at the time. ;)

Hey Myron. Thanks for posting.

But.....for accuracy...your text says 2150 lbs..while your pic says 2051 lbs ???

And....for the record....A/C or non A/C ?? Full-size battery ? And factory jack and tool kit ?
Whoops!! Typo!! Yes 2050 lbs.

Good questions, indeed more details are important.

- non AC
- splash shields removed
- no jack kit or tools
- group 34 battery AGM at that time (I now have a Group 24 AGM)

Back