Curse those reproduction parts

brycele

Daily Driver
I received a new snail mount from Vicks and noticed that it is quite a bit thicker than the original. The area that the lower left bolt attaches is about a quarter of inch thicker and lower right 1/8 inch thicker which doesn't allow the bolts to go in deep enough to prevent coolant from dripping out.

So is the best way to correct this is to machine the bolt areas with a grinding disk on my dremel or should I just get some longer bolts to make up the differences? That seems like a hell of alot of material to remove.

If anyone else has been in a similar situation, I'd love to hear your solution.

Well, I have not experienced this problem, BUT...

Whatdaya say we err on the side of necessity.

If the flanges are 1/8 and (I see) about 5/16th thicker... maybe there was a good reason... like they needed some more support in these areas.

If I were in a rush, I think I would grind (machine?) down the flanges and use the OE bolts.

If I was NOT in a rush, I would take the old bolts with me and find some of the EXACT size and PITCH that were a bit longer. Also find at least ONE nut that fits so if you haveta grind or cut a longer one down, you can place the nut on first and use it as a "die" to clean up the threads by taking them off.

HTH...

Did you talk to Vicks already?

Just curious... did you give Vicks a call and ask if they could check their stock for a better part?

Back