CV Joint Play

lanciahf

True Classic
Replacing the boots on my axles and I noticed one joint has play, the other joint feels great with no play.

Is movement acceptable or is the joint worn?

Thanks

Assuming it's not so much play to have the CV joint clunk when moving forward or back, you should be fine just regreasing and rebooting it.

Since the X1/9 outer cv joint does not see articulation as it would in a front drive configuration, some play is acceptable. The X inherited the rzeppa joint from it's FWD cousin, the 128, where a rzeppa type CV is a must since the CV joint must turn at much greater angles.

If this was regarding a 128, then I'd say you need to seek out a new joint to keep it from clicking on turns under load. But since the ball bearings inside the outer CV do not see movements in the track other than a fixed straight ahead position, theres no clicking potential to be had.

The play is with up & down movement not side to side

Hi Thanks for the reply,

The joint by the exhaust has up & down movement. It probably got cooked by the exhaust.

Has anyone tried Vick's CV joints?

I was referring to torsional play, not in/out play. Is that what you mean by up and down? Or are you pulling on the axle shaft and making the shaft go in and out of the outer CV?

As for the best CV joints, look for an OEM joint and stay away from aftermarket units. The OEM manufacturer of the CV joints I believe was Lobro, so those would be my alternate choice to a original Fiat unit.

Scorpion?

If this is the one by the exhaust, it should have a heat shield around the exhaust to protect the boot. Usually the boot get cooked, cracks, grease leaves and dirt enters, wear is the result. But, this joint can take a lot of wear and still work.

If I grab the axle with one hand and hold it steady I am able to grab the cv joint with my other hand and twist it back and forth. Doing this I can feel the play.

Greg, no shield was fitted just torn boots and very tired looking cv balls. The joints fell apart when I removed the axles. PO must have been driving around like this for a long time. I am using shafts from old Scorpion.

Rotational play

If I grab the axle with one hand and hold it steady I am able to grab the cv joint with my other hand and twist it back and forth. Doing this I can feel the play.

If I understand correctly, you're finding play in the rotation between the axle and the joint. There should be basically no play between the balls and the inner and outer cages. Sounds very worn if this is what you're describing. The more play there is in this rotational direction, the higher the chance of breaking the joint while accelerating.

Back