Cyclonic trap/breather hose question

pdxgeo

True Classic
On SplitPea Im using an aftermarket air cleaner so the on breather hose I put a small chrome type filter. There is no "flame arrestor" in the hose so Ive ordered one from Chris Obert.

My issue and question relate to the amount of oil one should expect to see "spraying" out of that hose if the arrestor isnt in there...

Im not talking about enough to read low on the dipstick or anything but there is always a mist on the underside of the hood as well as a pretty consistent "drip" puddle whenever I park. When I drive it hard there is little doubt that liquid oil comes from the system.

Is a little bit normal?

thanks

A lot normal...

It's a lot normal. Worn or very high compression engines put out more, but the oil mist you see is normal. I had this on my Scorpion before restoring the system as part of my F.I. conversion, and hated it.

The wire spiral flame arrestor won't affect the output of the hose much. Make sure the drainback hole in the cyclonic trap is open, and consider running the hose into a catchcan where the oil mist can settle out in the can and the vapors vent out. Ideally the vapors would be routed via a hose back to the air cleaner.

Back