Daily Driver?

What's the condition of your 850 Spider, Coupe or other?

• It's a show car, nearly perfect

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • It's a daily driver, great shape but I use it

Votes: 9 64.3%
  • It's driveable but is being restored

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • It's not driveable, and is being restored

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • It's rust in the shape of a car

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Jim McKenzie

1972 850 Spider
I was curious as to the status of the 850's here on Xweb...would any of them be in decent enough condition as to be called a daily driver? I'm trying very hard to get mine into that condition...and if my new home purchase goes well, (the house is 4/10th of a mile from work) , I may just start using the 850 Spider as my "daily driver" this month.

So what's the condition of your car?

Mine just doesnt inspire the confidence on the highway to make it safe enough to call a daily. I prefer the AMG Mercedes for that. Or any large Mercedes. People will give you a little room. But for the beach or any car gathering the 850 Is a crowd pleaser....

Oh and mine is pretty quick...

My Sport Coupe is a survivor. Its basically the same today as when I bought it in Burbank aside from from updated brakes, fluids and so on.

It does deserve a proper restoration but with three kids and a now a third fixer upper house it hasn't happened.

I do need to refiddle my alternator installation as its not charging. Ugh.

Now that I am 5.7 miles to work it could be a very enjoyable daily driver.

Karl

http://www.flickr.com/photos/9008298*N05/sets/72157633227968331/

Flat paint that is getting a trifle thin in spots

Last edited:
I can't vote...

When I had mine, it was a daily driver but not in very good shape. I was not restoring it, just keeping it going. I would fix little things here and there but then as today I'm more of a function person and less of a perfection person.

I knew it was rusty in the corners of the floor pan, and the driver's seat rails were loose in the rear, and there was rust at the front of the sills. But, the rubber mats hid a lot and I just drove it anyway. I knew on some level that if I was ever in a serious wreck it would not do much to protect me, so when I got my '81 "Budget" Zagato, I sold it. Made money if you don't count my labor. :blackeye:

Poll list is missing a choice...

I'm on this forum just because of your yellow x and 850 posts, Jim! But, I use (weather permitting) my old green 71 850 spider as a daily driver... to the store, take my son to soccer or school, pick up stuff (ok, ok, small stuff) at Home Depot.

It is not what I could call "great shape", but I'm not sure it qualifies as "being restored" either... I'd like to put a new top on but haven't found a good tutorial, I'll probably add a fuel cutoff for safety since I replaced the dead fuel pump with a generic electric one, AND, I found that a strip of neoprene seems to make up for the broken fan shroud quite nicely... how about a new category:

"daily driver in semi-adequate condition, being fixed as needed"

Does the term "chewing gum and baling wire" ring a bell for anyone on this forum? Or is everyone younger than their cars??

http://xwebforums.org/images/smilies/smile.gif

thank you Jack

that's really kind of you to say. As far as convertible top, I came across a laminated sheet, I think at a yard sale of all places, that does a fair job of explaining the process. I'll post scans of the paper here (hopefully not violating any copyright, but don't see any name on it claiming ownership) in a new thread with my comments. I really should add pictures too, but that will have to wait until the weekend.

The very recent blown head gasket aside, in the six years I've owned my 850 Spider it's truly been a daily (by which I mean, one or two days a week) driver. Good working condition with many cosmetic flaws, but reliable and practical enough for commuting to work, frequent 1-2 hour drives, and the occasional business or pleasure drive of up to maybe 400 miles round-trip. A couple of summers ago, when we had a long stretch of really hot days (95-105 degrees) in the DC area, and my X1/9 was out of commission for clutch master cylinder work, I drove the 850 Spider on my nasty commute to work just about every day --- only 50 miles/day round trip, but in such heavy traffic that I was on the road between three and 4-1/2 hours a day. The mighty 850 never let me down. I've driven on club drives with the DCFiats crew and can keep up with the 124s and X1/9s on the flats and downhill; it's only on the long uphill stretches that I fall behind --- same for highway driving, I can maintain 70 mph on level highway all day long, but in the hilly areas I drop down to 55-60 going uphill. That's the only scary part for me --- getting passed UPHILL by semis.......

Back