Dash gages on tilt

ArtBasement

Erwin Timmers
Last night, driving home, all of my dash gages suddenly went berzerk. The tach went to 0, as did the gas, voltage etc, whereas the water temp went to the top, and the high beam indicator light came on. All of this by sliding my headlight switch. It did it for low/hi beams or city lights, and as soon as the head lights lights were switched off again all would return back to normal. Throughout it all the engine never quit, and the lights worked as normal. Today all is well again, and the light switch works normal.

I have seen this once before, about a year ago, and the problem went away without me ever figuring out what it was.

:help:Anyone have an idea? I sure don't.:hmm:

In particular,

Check the ground tree underneath the steering column.
It's not enough that the terminals are in tight. Check the star washer underneath. It's likely your trouble is there. BTW, the gauge cluster grounds itself there (eventually) along with your headlight relay circuits.

IT'S BAAAAACK!

Sorry for your trouble... But your car does indeed appear to be HAUNTED, much like the rest of ours. Most like to call them Gremlins...

I concur with Greg and Bob, but would them move to a loose connector, one of three, in the back of the instrument pod. I would also look at the 5-wire ignition switch connector... take all these connectors and disconnecting them and reconnecting them several times.

I think just the operation or vibration from the light switch casued the problem, as basically, that is electrically, they have no interconnection WITHIN each circuit. Has to be something OUTSIDE each circuit that will affect them all.

Good hunting, and let us know what ya find. Yur gonna have to make it FAIL again in order to fix it!

Good hunting, and let us know what ya find. Yur gonna have to make it FAIL again in order to fix it!
That's the problem! It hasn't come back since then.

I located the ground star, and it's easy enough to jiggle should it happen again. Thanks for the suggestions. I do think it's an electrical ground loop or feedback problem; the light on/off switching was very consistent in producing the gremlin.

Back