Dash lights dim on my '74

BrianM

'74 - Blue Bomber
I always thought these cars are most fun drivin at night. My dash lights seem dim. I tried searching for LED's but they don't seem to come up? Does anybody have a line on LED bulb replacments?

Thanks,
BrianM

Seems like Bob Brown will chime in any moment on this one... I have the same problem. One of the reasons I have not glued in the new windshield yet.. Thinking I may need to pull the entire dash....:dead:

Hi,

the main problem is that the cover in front of the instruments becomes dark over time.
With a new or removed cover, the lights are not so dim.

Not so familiar with the '74, but i have to say BWM, HRM (xweb speak for Brown Wire Mod, and Headlight Relay Mod) Papa Tony and Bob Brown are the ninja masters at electrical, if you need in depth info. If your into the "stocker" all original thing, i'd look to Bob brown, for one of his "no-cut" relay kits. If you don't mind cutting up the wiring i'd check the xweb wiki for the brown wire mod and headlight relay mod. Since your local and i just did this to my car, I have all the tools and recent experience; I'd be willing to help with this, if you can drive down here.

Freaking sucks, The day i finished the BWM and HRM on my car i blew the head gasket. My wife still thinks if it ain't broke don't fix it, and thinks somehow the BWM/HRM blew the head gasket... Maybe on a karmactic metaphorical sense. So be careful once you start messing with it.

Que Papa Tony post: electrical advice
Que JayJ post: marital advice

Yeah Brian... ALL THE ABOVE...

Give me a call and we can talk 9 - 9 PST, please at 661-296-7277.

After completing a BWM of your choice... you can install LEDs or GE W5Ws for a couple of bucks. The FIRST problem is getting 12 volts to the the bulbs instead of 10.5 the factory harness provides and the inexpensive W5W bulbs are 2 watts apiece more than stockers.

Lots more here... too much to write at this time...

Thirdly, here MAY be some BLUE or GREEN covers over the lamps in the panel that can be removed. Doing these THREE things plus changing my guage faces to WHITE gives me a very BRIGHT and readable dash for pennies.

HA... Thanks for the kudos, I think...

I didn't know JJ was the go-to-man for marital advice though...

I believe he's going on 4 years and I'm going on 44... but I certainly don't have it figured out. I can always learn something! Can I give him a call 24/7?

Sorry thread hijacking!

hey Tony, any thoughts on the late model Dash swap? I was thinking of doing this myself, the '76 has the lamest instrument panel IMHO, and the late models have a really cool almost, dare I say, "aeronautical" look.

How nasty is a gauge cluster swap? With someone of my skill set is this easy or a total P.I.T.A.

Andrew... I believe its "Plug and Play"... almost!

Maybe one or two guages would need o be rewired or swapped. Bob Brown has ALL the details.

I believe he just recently told someone else that guages could be swapped quite easily.

Anyway... THE HEAD??? Wha's up???

Dimmer switch?

Does it have a dimmer switch? Sometimes they make the lights dimmer even though they're fully on. Try bypassing the dimmer to see how they look. Late model Bertones had no dimmer on the instrument lights, they just are on with the key.

Also, consider new bulbs and simply cleaning the housing. Bulbs get "sooty" inside and dust gets everywhere, especially on older cars. This may be all you need to do.

Hope this helps.

Brown wire fix

I ordered all the parts for the brown wire and headlight upgrades.

I'll let you know how it goes.

BrianM

Hey Brian... Let us know if ya need a hand...

Andrew (WRXDREW) just noted he completed his installation and I may be available also... plus ya got Ricardo, JJ, and Wil living close by too.

You can get a few ideas oand/or even make some upgrades building upon our experiences (read that as "failures") and possibly make life a bit easier on yurself! HA!

Besides... its about time you bought the Beer and Pizza... you've been here what, 2 months now??? HAHAHA!

Back